safe way to upgrade from LM 15 to LM16

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

safe way to upgrade from LM 15 to LM16

Postby richard-g8jvm on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 am

Hi
I asked earler about LM16 on the newbie list as just got told by a self appointed list policeman to read the topic below mine,
which I'd already read and it DID NOT answer my question.
I might as well upgrade now as I have an app that is not compiling, so might as well sort with the latest libs.

I've already tried apt-get upgrade-distribution, but it didn't , I moved from Fed FC19 recently as libs I use keep getting dropped
and an app I want to use , uses the ubuntu repos to build.

All the documentation I've found is for live install , not for upgrading , is LM16 upgradable from LM15 ????

if so how, Fed release a nice little app , but so far haven't found the mint upgrade method ,

so where or what is it PLEASE

, probably get told to RTFM by another self-appointed list policeman :(
richard-g8jvm
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: safe way to upgrade from LM 15 to LM16

Postby daveinuk on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 am

Safest way as recommended by the good people here is a clean install, if you've got a separate / and /home partition you can upgrade and still keep your files and settings by using the 'something else' option on the installer and installing the OS to / but leaving the /home partition alone and NOT formatting it.

Have a read of this for the full explantion:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby richard-g8jvm on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks
I had a look at that and at the link right at the bottom.
Its a pity upgrading has been made so clumsy, I'll do a fresh install and hopefully save the /Home and /Multimedia dirs , which should be on separate partitions.
But annoying as rebuilding the apps and getting the mysql data base running again is a days work, so 2 hours to do an upgrade is nothing compared to 10 to 16 hours

Supplying an app the same as other distros for upgrading , replacing the repo list and base system surely must be something to be added.

Or is it going in the direction of other hobbies/pastimes where building something yourself is unfashionable and you just use whats on the shelf ready built.

Rant over

Richard
richard-g8jvm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mark Phelps on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:25 pm

Supplying an app the same as other distros for upgrading , replacing the repo list and base system surely must be something to be added.
The linked information tells you WHY upgrading is not a good idea. One of the main reasons I advise against it is that, even to this day, neither Mint nor Ubuntu provide any simple "roll-back" feature -- by which, if the upgrade goes badly, you select a "roll-back" function and the previously working install is restored. If the upgrade fails, you're on your own to fix the problems or be left, in some cases, with a nonfunctioning system.

Or is it going in the direction of other hobbies/pastimes where building something yourself is unfashionable and you just use whats on the shelf ready built.

Can't speak for others, but I generally discourage "building things yourself" because (1) it's a lot of detailed work, (2) it's a LOT harder to do than just installing apps using a utility, and (3) it then leaves you with a customized system that is likely to fail if you upgrade it down the road.

Linux distros are known for their flexibility in installing software given that you generally have several very different ways to do that" (1) a menu-based app that locates and downloads packages, (2) Synaptic (which does much the same but you select packages instead of apps), (3) using PPAs, and finally (4) building an app from source. Doing a version "upgrade" is likely to go well when you have used either of the first two approaches but is likely to fail if you have used either of the last two.

Folks find this out the HARD way when, using Ubuntu, and the last two approaches, they do what they think is a simple "upgrade" -- and are left with a nonworking system, from which there is no simple recovery.
Mark Phelps
Level 5
Level 5

Postby richard-g8jvm on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Mark

I'd love to be able to just pull ready built packages, but many packes I use I have to build becuause someone in their "wisdom" negated, decided to drop it from a distro.

for example piklab, anyone using PICs will find this a god send, its so much easier to use than mplab, which wants windows, the later versions allow linux, BUT it doesn;t
allow the using of most programmers.
There are many like this

Cheers
Richard
richard-g8jvm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Reorx on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:12 pm

Richard;

Hi, it's me, the self-appointed list policeman again! First, I must tell you that I take exception with that characterization - I'm not a self appointed anything and I'm sorry you feel that way... BUT >>>

In your first post about this topic, you knew that it was ill advised to attempt what you would like to do when you asked about it. I merely pointed out one more example of this... I suggested a clean install but that didn't suite your needs/wants/desires - I get it... The fact is that "regular" Mint (i.e. Mint with a version number) is not designed to upgrade in place and the developers had publicly stated as much more that once... Dave has given you basically the same advice as I did about a week ago...

The only solution you might find to your liking might be to use LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) (http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php). It is a semi-rolling release and does not have a version number although the .iso is updated periodically (about once a year) to be "current" so you don't have to install the original and then a bucket load of updates. LMDE updates in place and is exactly what you are looking for so long as you don't need any Ubuntu components as it is 100% Debian based and 0% Ubuntu based. It has pros and cons that are different than "regular" Mint and you can read about them at the link (above). LMDE isn't my cup of tea but it might be exactly what you are looking for...

I wish you well...

- R -
Procrastinate now!
Reorx
Level 5
Level 5

Postby richard-g8jvm on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:30 pm

LMDE would not be suitable because of the debian philosophy with slightly non free s/w.
I have used Debian and I did find it a problem. it also lags behind .
I will be starting the use an app that uses QT5 and ubuntu libs, hence the use of LM

If someone comes across as a self appointed list policeman , I wil tell them so,
So perhaps you should analyse your method of reply if it caused offence, which it did, you may consisder altering it, or carry on and risk being called the same by someone else.

Now the lovely job of rebuilding

Richard
richard-g8jvm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Reorx on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:03 pm

I wish you well...
Procrastinate now!
Reorx
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot