Mint 13 fails to boot, keeps restarting

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 13 fails to boot, keeps restarting

Postby xot on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 pm

Hello,

I have been trying to install Linux Mint 13. I have downloaded the ISO image and burnt it on a DVD. I have set the boot sequence of my PC to first boot from the DVD drive, and so it does.
I get the screen saying automatic boot in .... seconds. If I press a key, I get a choice: boot Mint, boot Mint in compatibility mode etc. So far, so good.

If I just wait for the automatic boot, I choose to boot Mint normally, of in the compatability mode all that happens is that the PC restarts and so I get the screen saying automatic boot in .... seconds again.

How can I get out of this loop??

My pc is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4800+, 2.5 GHz, 3 GB RAM.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
xot
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 13 fails to boot, keeps restarting

Postby Derek_S on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:23 pm

Hello xot - Several things to look at:
1.) Did you verify the image by doing a md5checksum before burning? Always do this, all it takes is a few minutes and eliminates the chance of using a corrupted ISO image.
2.) Are you using Mint 32 bit or 64 bit? I'm assuming 64 but want to be sure on this.
3.)Did your machine have Windows previously installed? What version,XP,Vista,7,8? Was it 32 or 64 bit? It might be a good idea to check your BIOS settings for boot, and see if secure boot is enabled. If it is, try disabling this setting. You might also check if there is a setting for UEFI boot in BIOS. I can't tell you what to do with UEFI until I know which version of Mint you are trying to install and what you had on the machine previously. - Derek
Derek_S
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Floh79 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:47 am

Hi,
I had same issue yesterday with LinuxMint 16. I already checked md5sum of downloaded iso and with same media I successfully booted on different machine. If I let count down zero or do default, it rebooted (as far as I remember).

I tried with compatibility mode but then freezed after casper/initrd.gz is loaded. Nothing happens. Even freeze happens if I try check media integrity there.

Is there a argument to make more verbose so I could see where it freezed?

I'm using intel i7 920 with 8GB RAM and 2x NVidia GTX285M (yes, its a SLI). Its a Laptop based on Clevo x8100. Currently Kubuntu 13.10 and Windows7 are installed on that machine (I want replace Kubuntu 13.10 by LinuxMint 16).
cu Floh
Floh79
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xot on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your reply.

In response to your questions:
1) After my first attempt, I did check the checksum: OK. Also, I used the DVD on my laptop that worked fine.
2) I used the 32 bit version. Only later did I realize I have a 64bit machine. Will try the 64bit version tomorrow and post the result.
3) The pc is now running windows XP. it is a 64 bit machine. I looked in the bios settings, couldn't find anything like a 'secure boot' or 'UEFI boot' (don't know what that means).

I hope you can help me get this to work. Thanks sofar.

xot
xot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xot on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi,

Well, I tried the 64bit version of Linux Mint 13 mate. Same thing. The pc keeps restarting, whatever I do.

xot
xot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:28 pm

No idea if this will help at all, but try the section titled "CD/DVD drive can't boot in AHCI/Raid mode" on this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD.

If not, maybe you could try making a live USB and see if that works. Two commonly used programs for making live USB's are:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby xot on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Hello Goldfinger,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried 'burning' the iso to USB with unetbootin. Unfortunately, that gave the same results.
I could not find anything in the BIOS setting that looked like I could set the SATA DVD drive from AHCI/RAID to IDE/Compatibility mode.

This problem is far more difficult to get past than I thought it would be.

I hope some one can and give me the tip to solve this.

xot
xot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Very strange problem! I know you already checked the md5sum of the iso image, but double-check again to be sure.

Sometimes, I've heard people having problems booting from DVD-RW discs, but succeed with DVD-R disks; but thought USB would have booted right if that were the sole problem.

xot wrote:I could not find anything in the BIOS setting that looked like I could set the SATA DVD drive from AHCI/RAID to IDE/Compatibility mode.

Long Shot Here -- but might as well give it a shot!
Assuming it's a PC you've got and not a laptop, the other thing that you might want to try is plugging the sata cable from DVD into a different sata port on the motherboard.* Try moving it to one farthest away from where it is now. If there are two separate groupings (eg. 4 on one area, 2 on another area) of sata connectors on the motherboard, try moving it from the group it's connected to now to the other.

* If you're not familiar with inside of computer, there will be two cables connected to the DVD player. One cord will connect to the power supply; the other will go from the DVD player to the motherboard (the main board with all the circuitry and lots of things connected to it). UNPLUG computer before opening case; touch metal on inside of case first (to discharge any static electricity); if possible keep one hand on metal of case inside while unplugging the connector to the motherboard and plugging back into a different sata port. (You'll know which are sata ports because they will look the same as one you just unplugged from.)
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby xot on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:54 am

Hello Gold_finger,

Indeed, a very strange problem.
I don't think that switching the dvd-drive to another SATA port is going to be the solution. If the SATA port settings were the problem, I should have been able to boot from USB.

I have already created a partition for the mint installation and a 3.5 GB swap partition. Can't I do something with that? Get the installation files from the ISO onto the swap partition (can I just copy them form either DVD or USB?) and boot from that??

xot
xot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:56 am

xot wrote:I don't think that switching the dvd-drive to another SATA port is going to be the solution. If the SATA port settings were the problem, I should have been able to boot from USB.

Yes, your probably right about that. I was grasping at straws with that one.

Did some more searching. Think your problem may be related to changing one or more of the boot parameters. See this page for info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions?action=show&redirect=BootParameters.

Have a feeling it's related to using "acpi=off", "nodmraid", or both of those when booting. Try first by adding "acpi=off". If doesn't boot, then try with only "nodmraid". Still no go, then try both.

Did a brief test boot with a UNetbootin USB myself. To alter/add boot parameters, when you get to initial Menu screen, hit "tab" key with your boot choice highlighted. You'll see a line of code ending in "quiet splash -- persistent". (My USB has persistence enabled. If yours doesn't, that line may only say "quiet splash" or similar.) Add the "acpi=off" parameter by hitting the space key once, then typing it without quotations. To add more than one mode, hit space, type first mode, hit space, type second mode, etc.

Good luck.

EDIT Added Later:
If you solve the boot problem and want to install, please read and follow instructions I have on this post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=156435&p=810901#p810901. You'll want to get rid of the installer's slideshow to avoid the possibility of it messing up the install attempt. After installation, you'll need to remove an old package source to avoid getting error messages during update attempts.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby xot on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:01 pm

gold_finger wrote:Did some more searching. Think your problem may be related to changing one or more of the boot parameters. See this page for info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootO ... Parameters.

Have a feeling it's related to using "acpi=off", "nodmraid", or both of those when booting. Try first by adding "acpi=off". If doesn't boot, then try with only "nodmraid". Still no go, then try both.

Well, I am impressed. I looked at the page about the bootparameters, and I couldn't possibly say what parameter to adjust or why.
So I tried your suggestions, but neither nor both kept my pc from restarting. I tried with the normal and the compatability mode.
This is all getting a little frustrating, it looks like one is searching for a needle in a haystack just to find the one parameter that does the trick. Or there is something very wrong with my pc.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the effort for trying to find a solution. Thanks.
And if you think of any other thing I could try, please let me know. I haven't given up yet.

xot
xot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:38 pm

Let's start back at square one.

What is the exact brand and model number of your computer?

Do you know if it is using integrated graphics, or does it have a separate graphics card attached? If you look at back of computer, you will see a rectangular area (approximately 6" x 1.5") with many places to plug-in components -- if monitor is plugged-in there, you have integrated graphics. If monitor plugged-in somewhere else, you have a separate graphics card.

Do you know if your graphics are Nvidia, AMD, ATI, or Intel based? And (if you know it) what is the model of the graphics card or integrated graphics?

If you built the computer yourself, what is the exact motherboard model you used? Also answer above graphics card questions.

If you have a Windows operating system on that computer now and are not sure of answers to above questions, go to this site and download the "Speccy" program. You can run that program and it will give you all kinds of information on the components of the computer.
http://www.piriform.com/speccy

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby xot on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi,

Funny little program: speccy.

gold_finger wrote:What is the exact brand and model number of your computer?

It is a DELL Optiplex 740. with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ CPU

gold_finger wrote:Do you know if it is using integrated graphics, or does it have a separate graphics card attached?

It is a separate graphics card. One that allows the use of 2 screens (I got this machine when it was replaced at my work).

gold_finger wrote:Do you know if your graphics are Nvidia, AMD, ATI, or Intel based? And (if you know it) what is the model of the graphics card or integrated graphics?

The separate graphics card is: ATI Radeon X1300/X1550 Series

gold_finger wrote:If you built the computer yourself, what is the exact motherboard model you used?

The Motherboard is: Dell Inc 0TT708 (Socket M2 )

I've attached some printscreens from speccy, so you can check my answers and perhaps find more information.

I hope this will give you some clues.

xot
Attachments
SysInfo_20140118.pdf
(746.37 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
xot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:03 pm

I looked in the "Hardware" section of the LinuxMint Community website and found this:
http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/2035.

According to this person, just adding "nomodeset" (without quotes) to the boot parameters solved the problem. Try that.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby xot on Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:23 am

gold_finger wrote:According to this person, just adding "nomodeset" (without quotes) to the boot parameters solved the problem. Try that.

Tried it, no luck.

I also found somewhere that adding xforcevesa might solve this. Tried it, didn't work.

By the way, both these parameters are in the command for the boot in compatibility option, which doesn't do the trick either.
xot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Sorry xot,

I'm as stumped as you are on this.

Maybe as a last ditch effort, try downloading the Mint 16 version and installing that instead. Maybe the newer kernel on it will handle your machine better. Who knows? Worth a shot I suppose.

gold_finger
Level 6
Level 6

Postby xot on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Tried Mint 16 cinnamon, got a little further: a grey screen flaired up for about a quarter of a second after that the machine restarted again.

also tried universal-usb-installer instead of unetbootin to create the usb device: no change.

I am just about done, and ready to give up (sorry to say), unless anyone has a new creative thought.

Gold_finger and Derek, thank you for all suggestions.
xot
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot