Can't get to grub unless I pull laptop battery [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't get to grub unless I pull laptop battery [SOLVED]

Postby pciszek on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:04 pm

I bought an HP 64bit windows 7 laptop (sorry, not sure of the model, and I'm on a different machine right now) and tried to install 64-bit Mint MATE as a second operating system. It sort of works, but if I try to reboot, the laptop gets as far as displaying the HP logo and the text "ESC to enter Setup" and stays there forever. The ESC key does nothing, and neither do any other keys. Powering it down and turning it back on doesn't help. I have to power it down, unplug it, pull the battery, wait a while, replace the battery, turn it on, and only then do I get a grub screen and get to choose an operating system. Help?
Last edited by pciszek on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pciszek
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't get to grub unless I pull laptop battery

Postby Derek_S on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:51 pm

Hello pciszek - This is a strange situation you have on your hands. So you can boot to either Windows 7 or Mint MATE from the grub menu, correct? But only after doing this voodoo-like battery uninstall/reinstall procedure.
1.) How old is this HP laptop? Really old? If it is not a complex procedure, try installing a new CMOS battery. It could be dead.
2.) What is the revision number of your system BIOS? Try to get the revision number installed on your machine, then go to HP's website to check if it is the current version for your machine.
3.) Also, a procedure I read on HP's website, it involves disconnecting the power cord, removing the battery, then holding down the power button for at least 30 seconds. This will clear system memory, and HP refers to this as a "cold boot". I don't know if it will help in your situation, but it won't hurt to try it.
Derek_S
Level 3
Level 3

Postby pciszek on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 am

Derek_S wrote:1.) How old is this HP laptop? Really old? If it is not a complex procedure, try installing a new CMOS battery. It could be dead.
3.) Also, a procedure I read on HP's website, it involves disconnecting the power cord, removing the battery, then holding down the power button for at least 30 seconds. This will clear system memory, and HP refers to this as a "cold boot". I don't know if it will help in your situation, but it won't hurt to try it.

Brand new laptop, the last of the Windows 7 laptops available.

That "cold boot" is exactly what I did. I don't want to have to do it every time I want to reboot.
pciszek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Derek_S on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:09 pm

[/quote]That "cold boot" is exactly what I did. I don't want to have to do it every time I want to reboot.[/quote]

I agree absolutely, it's a quick fix, not a permanent solution. HP recommends it when the machine fails to start Windows recovery properly. So cold starts are fine, system reboots are the problem.

Another thing I noticed is your boot sequence seems out of order when compared to one my laptops. On my HP Envy DV7, with Windows 8, I see the message to press the Escape Key first, then I get the HP logo splash screen, then I get the login screen. If your machine is hanging at "press esc to enter setup", it seems your problem is occuring prior to the OS actually loading, possibly during power on self test (POST), or maybe when BIOS is passing control over to the bootloader in the MBR. Since your machine is new, I would think it has the most current BIOS version installed, but it may not hurt to check. It might also help to check if any BIOS settings have been changed from the default settings. Usually on HP laptops, pressing F9 will restore all setings to their defaults, then pressing F10 will save the settings and exit. Please read the instructions on the top or bottom of the BIOS menu screen to verify that F9 and F10 perform the same functions I described before doing this. Again, this is a strange situation you have here, but if what you described is accurate, I'm tending to believe the problem is BIOS related and not related to either Windows or Mint.
Derek_S
Level 3
Level 3

Postby pciszek on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:24 am

Apparently, the left shift key is all I needed to get into grub. How do change the subject header to say "Solved"?
pciszek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clfarron4 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:48 pm

pciszek wrote:Apparently, the left shift key is all I needed to get into grub. How do change the subject header to say "Solved"?

Edit the first post.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Derek_S on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:09 pm

pciszek wrote: The ESC key does nothing, and neither do any other keys.

It appears you have had a reversal of fortune. Glad to hear it's up and running again. :D
Derek_S
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot