Cannot successfully boot Mint 16 install DVD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Cannot successfully boot Mint 16 install DVD

Postby Nick Payne on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:22 am

I have a machine using an ASUS P9X79-LE mobo running Windows 8.1. I downloaded the Mint 16 Cinnamon and64 DVD, ran md5sum against the checksums to verify the iso file, and then burned the DVD with verification of the media against the iso after burning. So I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the media I am installing from. However, regardless of whether I have secure boot enabled in the ASUS BIOS or not, and regardless of whether I boot the default choice from the DVD menu or the compatibility mode choice, after a few seconds I see the message "kernel panic - not syncing: for safety". At that point the machine is frozen, and the only thing I can do is use either the reset or power button. With the default menu choice, that message is all I see on the screen. With the compatibility mode choice I get a screen full of information first, of which I have attached a photo, as I couldn't see any other way of showing the information other than writing it out longhand.

I also tried the media test choice from the install DVD menu, but it hung with the same kernel panic message. I can boot and run Windows on the same machine without any problem, including using some pretty heavy-duty programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom.

Any thoughts on how to get around this problem so that I can successfully boot the install DVD?

kernelpanic.jpg
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot successfully boot Mint 16 install DVD

Postby Nick Payne on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 am

p.s. Out of curiousity I downloaded and burned the Ubuntu 13.10 amd64 desktop install DVD. I can boot that up no problem at all, so whatever is causing the problem with the Mint 16 DVD would seem to be peculiar to Mint.
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cannot successfully boot Mint 16 install DVD

Postby dhm on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:42 am

I have the same problem on a much different computer.

Solution: Wait for Mint 16.1 to come out with a correction.

Let's make a list of the computers that can't install Mint 16:

COMPUTER:
Toshiba Satellite 1005-S157

IT SHOWS THE SPLASH SCREEN:
Yes.

IT CAN SHOW THE INITIAL MENU SO YOU CAN TRY COMPATIBILITY MODE:
Yes.

IN COMPATIBILITY MODE IT HANGS AT:
Checking EISA.0

THE LOCKUP IS SO SEVERE THAT NOT EVEN THE OFF BUTTON WILL STOP IT
Yes. I had to remove the battery and unplug it.

Someone gave me the Toshiba laptop model. It has WinXP. The Windows installation disc is missing and the antivirus subscription had expired. There is always a chance of an OS needing reinstallation. Now understand that I already use Linux so I was going to install it anyway. My other computer is being rebuilt so this is handy.

Since it has only 512 MB of memory (which is the max for this) it can just barely take Mate. Xfce needs only 385 MB so it is a better candidate. I ordered discs of Linux Mint 16 Mate and Linux Mint 16 Xfce.

After fooling with BIOS settings (boot order) I got no improvement. I checked my old Mate 13 and Mate 14.1. They go thru the whole live DVD boot process and could be installed. I looked at the discs which I got from OSDisc but WinXP did not find anything wrong.

I have limited bandwidth so I always order from OSDisc. If I had ordered the OSs on thumb drive I could have experimented with copying the old Casper folder from 14.1 into 16. I could do that by burning a new DVD. I might, but I will probably just sit here until Mint corrects the problem.
dhm
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot