Can I ?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can I ?

Postby infectedArcAngle on Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi guys I asked this in the newbie section but i didnt know if this or that section would be more appropriate. I was wondering if I could run linux mint off of an external hard drive? I can make my system boot to usb but i am unsure if i can install mint onto an external hard drive and if so how do i ?

Thanks fellow mint users and supporters!
infectedArcAngle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can I ?

Postby infectedArcAngle on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:50 pm

come on cant someone help! i really want to start using linux and learn how it works but i cant unless i find out how to work it on an external.
infectedArcAngle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby badmotor on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:46 pm

infectedArcAngle wrote:come on cant someone help! i really want to start using linux and learn how it works but i cant unless i find out how to work it on an external.

It hasn't been long since your original post. If you just be a little more patient, eventually someone will come along that can help you out.
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fred on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:27 pm

infectedArcAngle

Yes you can run Mint on an external drive.

Download and burn the latest stable version of Gparted. Use it to shrink something on your first internal drive so you can make a small ext2 partition of about 64 MB. Make a partition for your swap, root, and home on your external drive.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=271779

Reboot with the Mint install disk and use manual partitioning when you get to that point. Assign your boot partition to the internal drive and the other partitions on the external drive. Let it install grub to the mbr of the first internal drive.

Enjoy,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot