Can't resize NTFS partition in compatibility mode

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bwjpg
Level 2
Level 2

Can't resize NTFS partition in compatibility mode

Post by bwjpg »

:?:
Hi again I'm stuck and hoping someone knows what to do.

I am trying to install Elyssa on my system but my graphics card causes the system to hang. Compatibility mode works (albeit at low resolution) but when I try to install it the installer won't let me resize my single NTFS partition. It just lets me use manual mode or guided wipe the whole disk mode.

I've used Mint before and been very happy with it. I've checked the forums and it seems no one has ever had this problem before. All the online guides and my own recollection is that there should be a resize NTFS partition mode built into the installer. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I solve my problem or what my problem actually is.

My system is an old Sempron box
2 gig of Ram
80GB ATA hard drive (GParted says 76.68GB with 15.81GB used and 60.88GB empty and 5.08MB unallocated)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bwjpg
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Can't resize NTFS partition in compatibility mode

Post by bwjpg »

Don't worry fixed itself i.e. booted the Live CD, having created a separate partition in XP and deleted it, when lo and behold resize NTFS partition was there as an option in the installer.

Anyhow adding to our collective knowledge.
You can install Mint (well Elyssa at any rate) in compatibility mode with no ill effects.
I downloaded 200 updates and everything seems to work fine.
Used EnvyNG to get the latest ATI driver and it automatically changed everything from cruddy 1280x1024 to 1680x1050.
And then when I enabled the wobbly window option the machine froze solid...identical to the issues with the live CD
When I rebooted the system everything seemed to work fine including Compiz Fusion.
Compiz Fusion though cool is still then a work in progress

Return to “Installation & Boot”