Headless laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Headless laptop

Postby neofax on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:14 pm

I just inherited a Compaq laptop from a friend and installed Elyssa Mint on it with no problems. The liveCD recognized that the monitor on the laptop is broke and used my LCD as the main screen(although the resolution was wrong, which I planned to fix after the install). After the installation and removing the liveCD, the laptop boots fine to grub and right after the initial kernel boot black/white screen Usplash does not come up and my LCD flashes out of range. Then the laptop never comes back. What I would like to do is somehow either tell Usplash to use the LCD as the main display or use the liveCD as a rescue CD and install SSH and fix the problems. Does anyone know how to correct this? TIA
neofax
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Headless laptop

Postby miket on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:01 am

Hi !

neofax wrote:I just inherited a Compaq laptop from a friend and installed Elyssa Mint on it with no problems. The liveCD recognized that the monitor on the laptop is broke and used my LCD as the main screen(although the resolution was wrong, which I planned to fix after the install). After the installation and removing the liveCD, the laptop boots fine to grub and right after the initial kernel boot black/white screen Usplash does not come up and my LCD flashes out of range. Then the laptop never comes back. What I would like to do is somehow either tell Usplash to use the LCD as the main display or use the liveCD as a rescue CD and install SSH and fix the problems. Does anyone know how to correct this? TIA

Try adding vga=771 to the options in grub when booting .... this may resolve then issue for you.

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot