Dual Boot Vista and Linux Mint but... solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual Boot Vista and Linux Mint but... solved

Postby reborn on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi to All,

I am a linux fan and I just got a new machine and thought that I'd like to dual boot mint and vista. My machine is a dell inspiron 1420, the cheapest variant.

I have 3 partitions and 1 unallocated free space (preparation for linux OS). The partitions have the following contents:
p1 : Vista OS (40GB)
p2 : My Important Files (around 80GB)
p3 : Dell Media Direct (2.0 GB)

unallocated : 20GB

My question is can I install Linux Mint and still use Media Direct? Media Direct is a feature of my laptop wherein if I click the media direct button, it loads up a program (Os possibly windows w/ necessary drivers) that allows me to watch videos and listen to music w/o fully loading my windows install.

I've seen some tutorials to dual boot but they all seem to use Linux's grub to select w/c operating system to use. I was wondering if it would 'break' my media direct feature.... :?

Thanks
reborn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot Vista and Linux Mint but...

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:45 pm

It is possible to save the Media Direct and dual boot, but the descriptions on how to do that are very complicated
This link is for Edgy but should be valid for any Ubuntu/Mint but it has problems with Vista, even if a solution for Vista is there
Don't try this unless you feel confident that you understand the not so understandable post....
http://linux6400.wordpress.com/2007/04/ ... y-eft-610/
This is the best i found.....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby AK Dave on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:30 pm

I think that the gist of it is that if you dink with your MBR (as what happens when you install grub), then you have a good shot at bricking Media Direct.

My answer to this would be to avoid 100% dinking with the MBR. Install Linux (Mint) on that 20gb partition with /boot on a thumbdrive. Config the bios to boot 1-USB, 2-optical, 3-HDD. Want Linux? Insert thumbdrive, reboot. Otherwise, it is totally transparent. While you're at it, put your linux /swap on the thumbdrive.

I think this would be the least complicated and most easily replicated method.

Another alternative method would be to put grub on the thumbdrive, since relocating grub is an option with an advanced install (Hardy/Elyssa or newer, don't think this works with Daryna). With grub on a thumbdrive you have the boot sequence as described above, with the bonus that since everything is actually on the hard disk you can make an emergency boot CD out of a supergrub LiveCD. I believe that an Elyssa/Hardy LiveCD can redirect to the hard disk also.

Essentially, my plan would allow a full normal Mint install, but booting to it would require a physical "key" in the form of a thumbdrive or CD to store grub or /boot.

YMMV. I haven't tried this myself. Give me a Dell laptop with Media Direct and I'll give it a whirl.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fred on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:39 am

AK Dave,

Sounds like a good solution to me. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby reborn on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:50 am

Thank you for the replies :D

After a bit of searching and looking at the link and thinking about the ideas given I found the following link:

http://www.daryl.mu/2008/03/05/howto-tr ... ia-direct/

I'm not exactly sure if they work but I might try it out this weekend.
reborn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:42 pm

According to those instructions, you end up with a reduced-partition Vista install and a normal Media Direct install. You do a normal Ubuntu install, which gives you grub as the boot manager for everything. So I don't see why you couldn't just manually scrub the emergency restore partition and shrink/relocate Vista/MD with gparted. You end up with the same thing in the end. But the advantage of those instructions is that it may be faster/easier to reinstall Vista and MD from scratch than it is to resize the partitions. I've seen gparted churn all night long to repartition a 100gb drive, so if you can do this all with a few reboots and a reinstall, you're golden.

You have 20gb unallocated? Ghost the drive and then do a normal install. Worst case: you bork it all and have to reinstall everything from scratch.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby reborn on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks AK Dave,

I'll try to do the normal install tonight. Just one thing though, on the ‘Prepare disk space’ dialogue do I have to choose 'Manual' or simply use the guided one?

Thank you again for being very informative and helpful. :mrgreen:
reborn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK Dave on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:43 pm

MANUAL! :)
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby reborn on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi AK Dave,

Just installed Mint and I got to triple boot Vista, Mint, and Media Direct! Thank you very much! :mrgreen:

I do have some issues now like the brightness of mint is a bit high and lowering it would make d screen to dark as well as some mounting problems for usb flash/pen drives (I guess these are for another forum). But apart from that everything works fine. I'm going to use mint as my main operating system once I fix these issues. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
reborn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot