Installation of bianca so slow

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installation of bianca so slow

Postby Raein on Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:59 pm

Hi, i've been using kubuntu for almost 1 month (on my pc) and decided to install ubuntu on my sister laptop. I get frustrated by the dreaded 915resolution, so i take a chance to look out for other distro. Then i read about linuxmint, so i downloaded and burn using K3B at 4 x speed.

And now this i got this problem, it boots perfectly like ubuntu but i waited (20mins!!!!!) for the install to load until the screen hangs but it still read the cd-rom.

what do you think the problem? The laptop have only 256 memory but i have no problem installing ubuntu it works fine.

Maybe the CD are the culprit? should i reburn? what's the best burn speed should i use?

thanks in advanced
raein
Raein
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi,

Make sure to check the md5 and to burn at 2x (that way you'll be sure). Also, 512MB of RAM is recommended for Linux Mint. I have no idea if 256MB is enough or not...

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Mint on a slower machine

Postby Hiko96786 on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:43 pm

Aloha,
I just fixed a freind up by installing Linux Mint on his AMD 800 Mhz machine with 256 megs of ram and a 128 meg nVidia card. The LiveCD does take a few to load and get ready but once installed it took off like a rocket and worked fine. Only issue I had was making the mistake of trying to set the time during install. That locked up. After a log out and back in I was able to do the default install using the whole disk. He is very happy with it.
Mahalo,
Edward
Hiko96786
Level 1
Level 1

Postby carlos on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:09 pm

Same situation as Niko. My laptop at the time of install, had only 256mb of memory it was very slow to install, probably took about an hour to install. No worries used to doing that with windows :wink: But definately skip out on options like choosing time etc... It will make the system seem to hang but its actually taking a long time to go through the process.

Unfortunately there really needs to be an alternate non gui install of mint, perhaps in the future.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
carlos
Level 5
Level 5

Postby zonamint on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:01 am

Yeah yesterday i install Bianca on a friends computer with 256MB and it was soooooo slow!!! aprox 45Min to install =(

Maybe some process or services are leaking RAM
zonamint
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot