Mint 64 bit release date ??

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 64 bit release date ??

Postby venkattarigopula on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:18 am

Hi Everybody,

I really inspired by Mint. I have used nearly other dozen distros. Most impressed things in Mint are out of box audio/video supports of almost all formats and easy feature to save the downloaded utilities to a CD for later use. In my country india, internet is not too popular and works with less speeds for most of the economical users. I have used the Mint Daryna on my desktop and i was fully satisfied with that.

Recently i bought a laptop , that is 64 bit architecture. When i try installing the Daryna on the same, installer giving some many error messages continuously and no progress at all. Later i came to know from some sites, Mint doesn't have support for 64bit architecture. Somebody told that the 64 bit version is under testing. I am eagerly waiting for it. When it will be released ???

Till then i am not feeling good to use my laptop. It's my dream to have a Mint on my laptop. I want to test the latest release on my laptop if available.
venkattarigopula
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 64 bit release date ??

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:45 am

We are working on a lot of things including the 64 bit version, but it's hard to say when
However it's perfectly OK to install the 32 bits Mint on any 64b its architecture I know of
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby tuxStyle on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 pm

My new laptop is x64 too.

I tried to install Mint but the laptop shut down because of the temperature (AMD is running hot).
I found on ubuntu forums one tutorial for my laptop (HP Pavilion tx2500) and they say to boot with acpi=off at boot time.
If i do this with mint, i always get Kernel panic.

I tried with other distros too, the same "kernel panic".

I believe is because all distros i tried were x86 and not x64.

I really like Mint :) so, there is any pre alpha version of mint x64?

I hate Vista :) so, i'm ready to install any version of x64 you guys have.

Thanks
tuxStyle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 pm

Your CPU is overheating on your laptop? Is it getting enough air flow? Any x86 OS will work on that laptop, regardless of whether it has a 64 bit CPU or not. Sounds like you have other problems.
Wherever you go, there you are... - Buckaroo Banzai
http://www.lakehousetech.com
- Mint Debian
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby tuxStyle on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:13 pm

Yes, is the CPU and yes, i know, any x86 distribution should work.
And is working, until the kernel detect the overheating and shut down the laptop :)

All tutorials for my HP Pavilion have as 1st step booting with acpi=off but with a x86 distro this cause a kernel panic.
With a x64 distro (i tried ubuntu) is ok.

And the airflow is ok i think ... i will try to see if other with the same laptop have overheating problems.
tuxStyle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lakehousetech on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:12 pm

I would inspect the air flow. Open up the bottom of it (if your comfortable with doing so) and see if you can notice dust bunnies clogging up the heatsink or fan assembly. Over time the heatsink fins will collect dust like a lint filter in a clothes dryer. You'll have to be careful, and remove it.
- Mint Debian
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Lord Platin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:54 am

I suspect Windows is running fine? Because if so, I had the same problem.
I checked CPU temperature with Windows and was surprised that my CPU wasn't any cooler, so my dear Elyssa cared more about my CPU than Windows did it seems ;)
In the end, I solved it by undervolting my ancient Pentium-M and that lowered the temperature while using Linux. So it's quite possible that someone around here knows how to increase that linux-monitored-overheating-temperature because it's probably still way below the CPU manufacturers specs.
Lord Platin
Level 1
Level 1

Mint on AMD64x2

Postby capricornus on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:15 am

on several fora, I'm reporting the same trouble: installing 32bit-*buntu's or -debians on my Gigabyte+AMD64x2 results either in nothing happening, or a stall before installing, or a stall after installing or a KernelPanic. Installing 32bit-Drak's mostly results in bad memory handling or KernelPanic's. That's how I - accidentally - switched to Sidux 64bit, which ran everything fast and smoothly; but this OS binds itself to the chair with no update or upgrade possibilities. On a local Flemish forum, some webmaster proposed using *buntu 64bit. Since Mint, I wasn't charmed by the *buntu's, but I must say that Xubuntu 8.04 64bit does a pretty good job, and once ia32-libs installed, everything I install also runs. Well, I do hope Mint 5 XFCE comes with a 64bit version, see if it can surpass Xubuntu...? ;-) It must! BTW: WinXP sp3 is running without any problem.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:18 am

Patience - soon....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby darco on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:43 pm

I see a LinuxMint-5-x64-RC1.iso is floating around. Is this true? No annoucement?
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/

darco
Last edited by darco on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
darco
Level 3
Level 3

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:21 pm

LinuxMint-5-x64-RC1.iso is currently in the testing phase and may be replaced with a new iso.
The announcement will be on the start page, forum, and the blog.
Distrowatch has stated they aren't going report anymore on Linux Mint releases.(unless it's the Main edition and not any x64 or CE versions)
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby capricornus on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:49 am

Downloaded: Sidux 2008.3 AMD64 and Mint 5 AMD64 rc1
Tried to install: Sidux, every option stalls, thus no Sidux
Installed: Mint, without any problem, just as fluently as Xubuntu 8.04 AMD64.
ia32-libs is already installed, everything works: (the older version of) VLC plays http://www.di.fm/aacplus/chillout.pls without hesitation, ánd CrossOver gives no problems once the NVIDIA driver is installed and the system is rebooted.
Thanks everyone. I think DW is a bit wrong about not mentioning this release: many owners of AMD64-systems were waiting for this wonderful version.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:52 pm

capricornus wrote:Downloaded: Sidux 2008.3 AMD64 and Mint 5 AMD64 rc1
Tried to install: Sidux, every option stalls, thus no Sidux
Installed: Mint, without any problem, just as fluently as Xubuntu 8.04 AMD64.
ia32-libs is already installed, everything works: (the older version of) VLC plays http://www.di.fm/aacplus/chillout.pls without hesitation, ánd CrossOver gives no problems once the NVIDIA driver is installed and the system is rebooted.
Thanks everyone. I think DW is a bit wrong about not mentioning this release: many owners of AMD64-systems were waiting for this wonderful version.

Well this isn't the release and I think Distrowatch changed their mind.
They accidentally announced it but clem got it removed.
So maybe they will still announce it when it is really out.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Well this isn't the release

Postby capricornus on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:34 pm

is an rc1 a release or just a candidate? Don't try to explain the difference to me. It works. I accept flaws and bugs. I didn't discover any till now, while installing Wine and .exe's can be tricky, even for final distro's: Sidux 2008.3 is a disaster on my systems.
later on this day, I installed the same rc1 on an Intel Pentium DualCore with 64bit architecture, and it did very well. Only Xorg seems to have some trouble controlling 1440x900: the image is kind of lifted up on the screen.

The DW fight should only be a fight between personalities. Ignoring a major breakthrough for AMD64-systems is like shooting your own foot. Softpedia might become the first site to be visited, instead of DW...
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:49 pm

RC1 means it's a Release Candidate and that it's used for testing for bugs.
After the RC comes out it will be tested by the Community for 2 weeks and then a final will be made and released.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby darco on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:32 pm

Man, I just spaced out...I installed x64 via VMware but I forgot the user name!.....I know the pw...how would I go about getting the user name w/o reinstalling?

**edit**.....went in recovery mode and there was my user name! :oops:

darco
Last edited by darco on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darco
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 pm

Check /home for a user directory.. usually the same as the user name.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby clem on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Ok, just a quick update on x64 RC1. I was planning on releasing it today... Firefox 3.0.2 became available so I had to do that instead. The ISO is ready, we're having a few problems with the torrents but these should be fine by tomorrow and I'm not finished writing the release notes. That's where we are right now. Also, the repositories miss some packages for AMD64, for instance Opera... we'll have that solved before next week.

In brief, the announcements for x64 RC1 will come anytime soon before or during the week-end.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby darco on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Wow.....flash works nice....When I used Ubuntu x64 I had issues w/flash but not here.....
Dam...now I need to reformat and install x64 **sigh** :D

darco
darco
Level 3
Level 3

Postby lakehousetech on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:16 pm

Wow! That's great news! I haven't been on here lately, so this is definitely a nice surprise. Thanks to Clem & devs for all of your hard work on this! Can't wait to take it for a test drive....
- Mint Debian
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Installation & Boot