Correcting Screen Resolution

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Correcting Screen Resolution

Postby jordan on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:17 pm

The default resolution for Mint Lite, Daryna is too big, so I changed it. But, the log in screen stays the wrong size and looks horrible when you go to log in after a restart. I've had this problem for months and really would like it fixed. This is a redo of an older thread on the same subject in hopes a solution will be quicker and more accessible to those having the same problem.

Here is what I have tried up to this point:

1. Since /etc/kernel-img.conf automatically executes update-grub, it doesn't matter what changes I made in /boot/grub/menu.lst. So, I removed the following lines below and got changes to menu.lst to stay. (That was frustrating because no one told me to remove these lines. I had several restarts that were in vain, not knowing to look for the kernel line to check to see if the change actually was made even thought the file kept magically reviving itself after changes I know I made to it.)

postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub

2. This is how my /boot/grub/menu.lst looks now. I see the kernel line come up at boot.
title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda7 vga=791 ro quiet splash irqpoll
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

3. I've done all the Mint updates.

Still looks like crap at reboot for log in. Is there anything else to try? Or is it that just no one knows that answer?
jordan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Correcting Screen Resolution

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:58 pm

There should be something under Login window, but I don't find it now ....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby proxima_centauri on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Just curious, what is your current resolution set to now in Mint?
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jordan on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:45 am

proxima_centauri wrote:Just curious, what is your current resolution set to now in Mint?

My computers correct resolution is 1024 x 768.

My login screen is presently set to: 1280 x 1024.

After login, the screen resolution is correct at 1024 x 768.
jordan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DSpencer on Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:15 pm

First, remember that the 'vga=791' entry in the kernel options in the menu.lst file affects only the initial screen resolution (the splash screen or the text displayed during the boot if in verbose mode). It does not influence the X server, and in fact you can get into some frustrating problems because the initial boot resolution I believe is determined in the 'initrd' [initial ram drive] file.
So your problem must be in the Xorg config file, more specifically in the X configuration.
If I understand you correctly, you would like the login screen to be at '1024x768' but it is going into '1280x1024'? So I assume your display is a CRT because LCD displays are always run at their native resolution (the highest they can do) because otherwise they look like crap. Of course CRTs have always been able to be run at one resolution level higher than you can stand to look at and use them at.
The normal home for the 'xorg.conf' file is in '/etc/X11'
However, having just installed Linux Mint for the first time (I now use Ubuntu/Kubuntu mainly on most of my machines but have about 12 years of linux experience behind me) I notice that at least on my setup the screen resolution isn't defined in 'xorg.conf'.
One thing to try is to go into the "KDE Control Center-Peripherals-Monitor and Display" and see what the setup defined there is.
Also check out 'KDE Control Center-System Administration-Login Manager' and check some of those settings.
DSpencer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jordan on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:50 am

I have a temporary fix for the problem. I went to Login Window under Daryna->Administration->Login Window. I don't know exactly what box I checked that did it, but one of them I checked removed the default Mint gui login and replaced it with a window with a title bar and a Debian graphic on it. Since the Debian login window is smaller that the screen, it doesn't look bad. I'd still like to know the source of the problem.
jordan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot