Freezes On Startup

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Freezes On Startup

Postby Bigmutha on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:36 pm

When I first tried using Mint, I was using the regular edition, GNOME. It would always freeze at the same spot when booting LiveCD, so I tried the XFCE edition and managed to get it working and installed. Then I had some troubles with the internet, but managed to get it working here.

After fixing the internet, when I try to start Mint, it freezes at the EXACT same place. I think it had something to do with this:
Code: Select all
echo -e '#Hardy ssb/ndiswrapper workaround, added' `date` '\ninstall ndiswrapper modprobe -r b43 b44 b43legacy ssb; modprobe --ignore-install ndiswrapper $CMDLINE_OPTS; modprobe ssb; modprobe b44;' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper

I used it to make ndiswrapper load when the computer starts, or something. :\

Anyone who knows how I can either make it boot again, or undo that code, it would be great if you could help out.

Thanks,
Bigmutha
Bigmutha
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Freezes On Startup

Postby Husse on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:49 am

You could edit or delete
/etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
Because what that command does is add lines /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper and then add the file to /etc/modprobe.d
And should it really be
\ninstall

I think ninstall does not exist so it's to be either install or more likely uninstall, but I may be wrong. I have at least not found anything that explains that command
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Freezes On Startup

Postby Bigmutha on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:40 pm

Fixed it perfectly, Husse. Thanks.
I guess I'll try the other scripts that will make the internet work and see if those don't break it.

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me. :D
Bigmutha
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot