I Cant Get Mint to Boot!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

I Cant Get Mint to Boot!

Postby Dude on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 pm

Ive been having major difficulties trying to get Mint on a live cd. Everything is right, and it still wont boot. ive wasted countless cds trying to get this to work. I need major help because ive gotten advice from people who know Linux and its still not working. I downloaded the iso, i burnt it to a cd correctly, and it just has a bunch of useless files on the cd that arent even executable. Ive used tons of programs to burn it too but nothings working. Im new to Linux, so i need careful instructions. Ive only got one CD left, so i dont plan on wasting it like i did with the other ones.http://linuxmint.com/forum/posting ... post&f=46#
Dude

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I Cant Get Mint to Boot!

Postby Bigmutha on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:14 am

Are you trying to boot Linux on startup, or within Windows itself?

If your trying it in Windows, you'll need a special program.

If booting it on startup, put the CD in the drive, restart your computer and you will have to press a button on your keyboard to change what the computer boots from. (I have to press F8)
Then select CD and wait for Linux to start, if it freezes at the same spot while loading, then you're just unlucky like me, and you should try burning the XFCE Edition. That worked for me.

Tell me how it goes and I'll see if I can help anymore.
Bigmutha
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dude on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:47 pm

alright, Well i already figured out how to boot it. What i need now is to know how to correctly partition linux Mint to my Hardrive. I also have HP Wireless LAN Assistant that wont work on Linux (Need to know how to get it to work). I have 70 GB of unallocated space but i need to know how to get linux into that space without deleteing the Windows format.
Dude

Postby Dyssolution on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:05 pm

There is an app named Network Manager that works nicely, you can download it from the repository (search for "nm-applet 0.6.6") or from this website:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

I always install Linux on a separate HDD from my Windows installation...so I'm going to skip that one for now b/c I'd hate to give you bad info and screw your windows installation up. I'll try to find a good walk-through guide for you.
Dyssolution
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dude on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:51 am

OK i tried to download Network Manager but when you go to the Parent Directory to download it they have like tons of file that you can download. which one do i choose? what do i do from there?
Dude

Return to Installation & Boot