New install on laptop external drive won't restart

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

New install on laptop external drive won't restart

Post by T J Tulley »

Yesterday I installed Elyssa from iso-burned cd onto partitions 6,7 & 8 of a 200 GB hd in an external case connected to a USB1 socket in my Dell Latitude C840 laptop. Before it would start I had to sudo umount /media/* because it reported that it could not proceed while other partitions were mounted. Installation went very slowly - at the end I accepted the default option to install MBR on hd0. Then came the usual advice to reboot and remove the cd.

When I reboot, I get the message (instantaneously, i.e. no wait, after BIOS boot):
Grub loading stage1.5
Grub loading, please wait . . .
Error 21

I tried Supergrub, but this reported various errors including File not found; when I tried to view partitions it failed to show them but only showed 2 hds. I tried all ways offered to boot, but they all failed.

Today I have tried again - failure - so now I have inserted the USB connection of that external drive into my PC, running Elyssa installed a long time ago from the same cd (and updated and extended!).

The external HD shows its partitions on the screen with no additional action required from me, and the / partition shows /boot/grub/menu.lst where the first active entry is:
title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd1,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sdb6 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

Clearly the partitions are numbered from 0 here, it appeared in the installation partitioner as Partition 6.
More puzzling is the identification of the drive: the screen showing it is headed:
disk-2 - File Browser.
The 'disks' in the laptop shown in the installation partitioner were hd0 (internal hdd), hd1(cd-rw), and hd2 (external hdd). The installation was to hd2, which appears to correspond with the header of the screen, "disk-2 - File Browser".

But: /boot/grub/device.map in the external drive / partition shows:
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb
whereas in the installation in this PC, the corresponding file in its / partition shows:
(hd0) /dev/sdb
(hd1) /dev/sdc
(hd2) /dev/sdd
and I wish it had installed starting with sda!

Could the failure to boot be related to an incorrect drive identification in menu.lst?
I shall be most grateful for advice, which I will await.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
VVV

Re: New install on laptop external drive won't restart

Post by VVV »

try a mobo bios upgrade
just remember if the upgrade fails yolur computer will not work
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Re: New install on laptop external drive won't restart

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks VVV - I installed the latest Dell BIOS for my laptop quite recently - it was dated 2005.

The BIOS doesn't specifically recognise USB drives for boot sequence, but I enabled the next possibility after floppy, CD, hd0.

In any case, the MBR is on hd0 as I said.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.

Return to “Installation & Boot”