how do I do this for linux mint 5.0 r1?
Great! thanks everybody! Thanks Esa! I tried your suggestions and my LAN works!
Just to make it clear for anybody who could have similar problem, I'm posting exactly what I did:
My notebook is a toshiba L300-11A (PSLB0E)
NB: please read the whole thread before following this how-to to make sure you have the same problem as I had
1) disable your LAN from the bios
2) install ubuntu 8.4
3) download the files from the links above and copy to your pc (home folder, desktop....don't think that's relevant)
NB: numbers here may change with new releases...don't panic just look for similar files (also be careful locating the ones that match your hardware configuration) and everything will be ok. (mail me if you want the files I used)
4) install linux-headers-2.6.24-19_2.6.24-19.33ubuntu11_all.deb (simply double-click and give your sudo password)
5) install linux-image-2.6.25-2-686_2.6.25-4_i386.deb
6) install linux-backports-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.18ubuntu3_i386.deb
7) install linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic_2.6.24-19.28ubuntu3_i386.deb
reboot, enable your lan from the bios.
9) at grub prompt choose kernel 2.6.25-2 (it should be the first option)
10) have a beer, and enjoy your lan working!
I used the latest files found following links provided above, so thanks everybody, great job!
to find the latest linux-image as ESA said, I just googled for
hope anything is clear now also for a beginner!