Cannot login using Linux Mint 5

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cannot login using Linux Mint 5

Postby mirrrad on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:05 pm

Disclaimer: I am a complete newbie

I just installed Linux Mint Elyssa on my laptop, but after installation it fails to restart when I click "restart to move out of live CD onto the actual installed linux" (or something similar that it says). The computer just hangs there, with a blank black screen. I shut it down manually, using the power switch and restarted.

Now, it booted properly and showed me the login screen, but it doesnt login when I enter the password. If I enter an incorrect password, it shows a message "incorrect password...bla bla", but only if i enter the right password, the password field simply clears and it stays there like nothing ever happened. As an aside, the fonts on the login screen are humongous, but I can live with that.

I reinstalled linux again using the live-USB that I had made initially, and tried the whole circle three times (install-shutdown-restart-get stuck at login screen-repeat) and every time the same thing happens. (I'm saying this because I'm thinking is there something wrong with the live-usb that I made? I dont have a working dvd drive so that was the only option I had)

P.S: Thankfully I have another laptop which runs vista so I'm posting from there, which was why infact in the first place I tried taking off vista and installing linux on my other laptop.

Hard Disk partitions:
1) 80 GB NTFS (has all my data)
2) 1.5 GB swap
3) 20 GB ext3 /

Is there any other information which I should give here? Let me know!

Please tell me what to do.

Thanks!
mirrrad
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot login using Linux Mint 5

Postby Husse on Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:18 pm

I bet this has to do with that you use a USB stick not CD/DVD
Take a look at this how to
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3250
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Cannot login using Linux Mint 5

Postby mirrrad on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:11 am

Used the instructions in that thread to make the bootable USB and installed again, but still the exact same issue persists.

I'm wondering, is there any other partition that I need to create apart from the swap and the "/" ?

Obviously, I cant fiddle around with my NTFS drive at all, it has all my data.

Please enlighten!
mirrrad
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot