Cannot Boot: Select proper boot device error solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cannot Boot: Select proper boot device error solved

Postby Karoum on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:42 pm

Hello. I just installed Mint on my computer. The live CD installation worked perfectly. Still, I cannot boot Mint from my drive at all.

To make things clear:

Drive 1 : Sata 250g NTFS with Vista installed ----> Formatted while installing Mint in Ext3, using the full drive option (deleting Vista entirely)
Drive 2 : Sata 500g NTFS with my misc data ----> Stayed the same

I looked over my boot sequence and my 250g drive comes just after my DVD-Drive. Even when I put my 250g drive as the 1st boot device I still get the boot error asking for a proper boot device. The only problem I could see is that when I formatted, the 500g drive with the misc data I kept the same was listed as something like sda while the one I formatted and installed on was listed as sdb.

Also, my BIOS says that the drive Mint is installed on (the 6th drive) is following the one that has the data (5th drive) in the list of drives I have, not the boot sequence. Moreover, my dvd-drive is listed as the master and it is an IDE device. Could my dvd-drive being an IDE component be stoping my sata drive installation from taking over at the boot sequence?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Karoum
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot Boot: Select proper boot device error

Postby Husse on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:46 am

It seems that you unfortunately have different boot order and master order - that can give problems
Boot the live CD and repair grub
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
I think that's it
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Karoum on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:33 am

Yes, looking at my BIOS, the main screen displays the listing of my drives. My IDE DVD-drive is listed as master, I have then nothing listed in slave, sec master and sec slave. The IDE (sata drives, no idea why they are identified as IDE in the bios itself though,probably just a naming convention) following those 4 are then displayed. My data drive being the 5th and the Mint one being the 6th. I do have a seperate screen for my boot sequence and both may be conflicting I guess. First time Linux user is me.

I'll check into your solution once I come back home.If anyone got any other solution that may work, please do tell as I will test everything until I get the system running.
Karoum
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Karoum on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Allright, just so I know what I do is correct, since my OS drive is sdb and that it follows the Dvd-drive (hd0 ?) and the NTFS drive (hd1), it should be called HD2 in grub right?

So : grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

Will only bring out the HD2 or the name of the single drive containing my Mint installation. Correct?

Then : grub> root (hd2)

Then grub setup (hd2)

If my HD2 were to be partitionned, my first partition would then be hd2,0 and the second one would be hd2,1 and so on. This means that in both "root" and "setup", I would have to replace (hd2) by lets say (hd2,0) if my OS is on the first partition of the 3rd recognized drive.

Hope this makes sense.
Karoum
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Karoum on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Hello, I repaired Grub but now I am getting an error 17 when I try to boot from it.

It says:

root (hd1,0) (btw, this is the one I used in grub to fix my grub installation)
Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7

Then there is something about root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition

Further help would be very appreciated once again. Thanks.
Karoum
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Karoum on Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:53 pm

I fixed my error 17 too and here is how:

When in grub at startup, I pressed "c" to get the command line. I wrote root (hd1,0) and it gave me an error stating that the filesystem was not the right one. Because I have 2 drives, I gave root (hd0,0) a try out of dumb luck and it found my filesystem. I edited the boot line so that it became hd0,0 instead and pressed b key to boot and here I am.

In a nutshell:

-I had to re-install grub using the live CD so that grub could pick up at startup.
-An error 17 came out because the name of my HD on whidch the OS is is named differently when grub is accessed on the live cd and when grub activates on startup.
--I changed my hd1,0 to hd0,0 and it booted properly.

Thanks for the help. I hope my solving this will help others with the same problem in the future. Seeing that I am a total Linux noob, they will probably fare better than I did anyway.
Karoum
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot