Boot from USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sigord

Boot from USB

Post by Sigord »

I have an old PC which I have installed Mint v 13 in a separate 8.7 Gb partition along with Windows XP. Since XP will not longer be supported by MS after next month, I might as well reinstall Mint over the whole hard drive removing XP. But the old CD / DVD drive has developed problems and will not longer read the Mint DVD.

Is it possible to just copy all the files on the Mint DVD over to a 4 Gb Flash Drive hoping the PC will boot up and install Mint from the flash drive? The CMOS boot sequence has been set to recognise the Flash Drive. Otherwise do I need special software to boot up Mint from the USB?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sigord

Re: Boot from USB

Post by Sigord »

Thanks but it is pity I cannot use the files on my MInt 13 DVD and instead need to slowly download a huge ISO.

What is likely to happen if I just copy the files to the Flash drive and set it to boot up from a Flash Drive.

But where can I download the Mint ver 13 ISO and will it quote its size as I am only on some 3 Mbps.
Sigord

Re: Boot from USB

Post by Sigord »

Thanks for you help even with my slow broadband I have managed to download the large ISO for Mint 13 taking some 40 minutes. I then managed to copy the installation files to a 4 Gb flash drive to install Mint back onto the whole of the Hard Drive without Win XP this time using a unetbootin.

But I had to hunt round for the Windows EXE version to avoid the need to somehow save the large ISO on the drive first needed for Mint.

Return to “Installation & Boot”