Consistent Hangups with Mint 16 LiveCD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Carror

Consistent Hangups with Mint 16 LiveCD

Post by Carror »

Linux and Mint noobie just trying to install on an older system. It's an Acer Aspire AX1700-u3700a with:
Intel Dual Core 2.4GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 7100 chipset
NVIDIA GeForce G100 graphics
4GB RAM
640GB HDD

At first I was able to boot the liveCD with occasional hang ups when I tried to install or do some small tasks in the liveCD version. I reformatted the HDD (deleting Windows Vista - didn't want to dual boot) to try and troubleshoot. After that I had varying levels of success, but never making it past the install window where you choose your keyboard layout, and always freezing up at various points up to that.

Now the liveCD is getting hung up before the Desktop loads. I've reburned the disk image using 8x, 4x, and 2.4x speeds, but there's no change. I've searched around to try and find the solution, but couldn't find anything that worked. One note, I booted the liveCD on my primary computer (Mac) without trouble. One difference I noticed was that on the Mac I got the "Welcome to Linux" screen where I chose whether to start linux, start in compatibility mode, etc. - whereas on the Acer I do not get this screen (I have assumed this is because there's no other OS at this point, but I'm not sure). The HD is not compromised and all previous tests came up clean.

I also looked into Bios Legacy stuff, but don't have that option when I Del+F12 into the boot settings.

Any suggestions/ideas? I'm at a loss.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Consistent Hangups with Mint 16 LiveCD

Post by austin.texas »

When you boot the DVD, as soon as you see the splash screen with the countdown from 10, hit any key.
Highlight the default boot option and press TAB to edit the boot parameters.
Where it says "quiet splash", add nomodeset to the end so it says "quiet splash nomodeset"
Sometimes, nomodeset is needed for nVidia graphics cards.
Then you should be able to boot the live DVD.

If not, repeat the same action but in the boot menu first press the down arrow key to highlight the second entry in the menu (compatibility mode). Then in instead of adding "nomodeset" add "nomodeset acpi=off nolapic" so it says "quiet splash nomodeset acpi=off nolapic".
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Carror

Re: Consistent Hangups with Mint 16 LiveCD

Post by Carror »

First, thank you for your help!

Second, I tried this advice a bunch of different ways, with little success. I'm hoping a detailed account will help make the issue apparent (even if not to me):

Attempt #1: standard boot option, "quiet splash nomodeset"
-Booted into the desktop, but froze when I tried to open the driver manager.

Attempt #2: same as above, just wanted to try it again
-Froze on loading screen. Waited 10 min., rebooted.

Attempt #3: Compatibility mode
**The boot parameters were significantly different than for the standard mode and already included nomodeset, but not "quiet splash". This is how it read:
"/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/linuxmint.seed boot=casper xforevesa nomodeset b43.blacklist=yes initrd=casper/initrd.lz ramdisk_size=1048576 root=/dev/ram rw noapic noapci nosplash irqpoll" I added "acpi=off nolapic" to the end.**

*I saw this during boot up: "error reading /lib/udev/hwdb.bin: no such file or directory"*

-Nonetheless, it booted to the desktop. Opened the terminal. Opened driver manager, but froze right after that when I tried to click the recommended nvidia-319 driver.

Attempt #4: Compatibility mode without modification to boot parameters
*I saw this during boot up: "error reading /lib/udev/hwdb.bin: no such file or directory"*

-Booted to the desktop. Opened Firefox. Froze when attempting to open driver manager

Attempt #5: Standard boot mode with "quiet splash nomodeset acpi=off nolapic" at the end of the boot parameters

-Booted to desktop. opened driver manager, chose recommended nvidia-319 driver, system froze right away while 'applying changes'.

Attempt #6: same as above
**Wanted to try installation before addressing the driver problem just in case the driver installation requires OS to be installed first.**

I saw a message during boot up that was like this: "failed to execute '/lib/udev/mtp-probe'. . .: No such file or directory" The ellipsis was a bunch of numbers I wasn't able to get down before the desktop booted up.

-Hang up during install - after recognizing necessary HD space and internet connection. The amount of time I was actually in Mint, doing stuff on the desktop and with programs was pretty stable. I didn't keep track, but it wasnt ever longer than 2 minutes before it hung up again.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”