install/partitioning advice

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
golinux

install/partitioning advice

Post by golinux »

Current partition structure is:

sda1 115 GB ext3 (flagged boot) - XP used to reside here but I nuked it many months ago and have been using the partition for file storage since then

sda2 18.5 GB ext3 / - Ubuntu Gutsy resides here (from when I dual booted with XP)

sda3 84 GB ext3 /home

sda4 ~1 GB swap

I'm liking Mint enough to consider installing Mint on sda1 of this drive. For the moment, I'd do a single partition install. If I decide to go all Mint, I'd nuke sda2 and sda3, resize sda2 and move Mint's /home to there. sda3 would turn into data backup.

I'm used to installing Linux on Virtual Box and on an entire disk but have never installed on a partition of my primary machine - I had help with the XP/Ubuntu dual boot. I'm scared to death!

Sooo . . . how do I install Mint on sda1 without destroying Ubuntu on sda2 and sda3? Manual partitioning? Or will a guided install just use sda1?

Your advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: install/partitioning advice

Post by msuggs »

You'll need to use manual partitioning. Once in the partitioner it should makes sense if you've done numerous installs before
golinux

Post by golinux »

Thanks. Unfortunately, some unpleasantness elsewhere on the forum has soured my enthusiasm for Mint, so the install is on hold indefinitely. Probably won't be around here much anymore. That's a darn shame . . .
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Unpleasantness? Eh? Don't have a clue what that is about. Here's what you need. Search is your friend.

The Definative Dual Boot Guide
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =46&t=9922

Tutorial: How to Dual Boot Mint & Windows
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42&t=13991

Tutorial: How to Partition your Hard Drive (my personal favorite)
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=358
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

golinux wrote:how do I install Mint on sda1 without destroying Ubuntu on sda2 and sda3?
As mentioned, you'll need manual partitioning. I recommend burning a gparted livecd and booting with it to do all of your partition fun.

I do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT recommend using a single 115gb partition for Mint. You're stabbing yourself in the back, shooting yourself in the foot, and whacking off your nose to spite your face all at once. Its ugly. Please don't do ugly. I assure you that you'll regret it.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

golinux wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately, some unpleasantness elsewhere on the forum has soured my enthusiasm for Mint
I'm sorry that you were upset over the discourse in another thread. I'm sure you'd find this a pretty nice place if you gave it a bit more time.

Maybe next time :)

edit: left out a word
Last edited by msuggs on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golinux

Post by golinux »

omns wrote:
golinux wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately, some unpleasantness elsewhere on the forum has soured my enthusiasm for Mint
I'm sorry that you were upset over the discourse in another thread. I'm sure you'd this a pretty nice place if you gave it a bit more time.

Maybe next time :)
Maybe but probably not. My impression is that the attitude here is a bit too arrogant and condescending for my taste. After my initial enthusiasm with Mint, it brought me down with a big thud. I was already talking Mint up to my colleagues and considering substantial financial support for this project. Instead, I will be nuking my mint.vdi and moving on with Ubuntu. Some things just weren't meant to be . . .
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

I wish you well. Enjoy your Linux :)
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

golinux wrote:My impression is that the attitude here is a bit too arrogant and condescending for my taste.
I've had that same feeling on other sites, but never here. It's unfortunate you feel that way, and our loss for losing someone who could have been a valuable member here. I'll offer you one thing to consider though. Even if you don't like our forums don't let that stop you from using Mint. You can always visit the Ubuntu forums for the social aspect, and technical help, even if your OS is Mint. If you truly prefer Mint then use it. Whether or not I like people on a message board does not determine what OS I use. Either way good luck to you. I'm sorry to see you go.

Return to “Installation & Boot”