UPDATED mint 13 mate freezes on black screen during boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hezmat

UPDATED mint 13 mate freezes on black screen during boot

Post by hezmat »

UPDATE: I hit the esc key (thanks google) while mint was booting and recorded the messages with my phone
a black screen with the white mark on the top left side of the screen appears right after Starting VirtualBox kernel modules (OK)
I wonder if this is even the right forum section for this

I took out my hdd to make changes to the hdd cage. after I plugged all the cables back in I must have done a mistake because I don't remember seeing my old cinnamon installation in the grub menu
I have now unplugged all internal and external hdds except for the hdd on which linux mint resides

when I boot into linux, just after:

Code: Select all

The disk drive for /dev/mapper/cryptswap1 is not ready yet or not present.
Continue to wait, or Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery
I get a black screen and my system just freezes and doesn't respond

Linux Mint 13 MATE 64-bit, 3.2.0-60-generic (/dev/sda1)
GNU GRUB version 1.99-21ubuntu3.14

I have been trying to understand and fix this on my own with the help of google since two days now and accidentally had added entries from another hdd which is unplugged now
I fixed grub by running boot-repair from a live cd but I still can't get in my system and I still get the same frozen black screen with a white mark on the top left corner on the screen
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7310155/
that report says I have both fglrx and radeon installed. could that be the root of this issue? and if yes how do I get rid of it?
VGA: Ati Radeon HD4670
I have the catalyst legacy drivers installed
everything was running just fine for months
this occurred on a reboot after a long uptime (1-2 Weeks)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hezmat

Re: mint 13 mate freezes on black screen during boot

Post by hezmat »

no response for two days so I'll just bump this now
*bump*
Mute Ant

Re: UPDATED mint 13 mate freezes on black screen during boot

Post by Mute Ant »

Waiting for /dev/mapper/cryptswap1
is how Linux would refer to an unresponsive RAID device it has been ordered to mount, either because it is the root file system or because it is listed in /etc/fstab. Did your installation include a RAID system that should be removed from /etc/fstab?
Mute Ant

Re: UPDATED mint 13 mate freezes on black screen during boot

Post by Mute Ant »

Aha! Not RAID. Linux is trying to mount an encrypted SWAP partition [listed in fstab] and it's not there. Solution...

EDIT THIS LINK IS BROKEN http://punygeek.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/ ... e-for.html

Solution. Mint13 will work fine in 512MiB of RAM so the swap-partition is not critical. Using the file manager or the terminal, edit /etc/fstab so that lines referring to partitions on disks you have removed start with # i.e. they become comments. Mint-Linux doesn't actually need any entries in /etc/fstab, but it will complain if the file is missing or if it contains impossible requirements.

Return to “Installation & Boot”