Busy Box

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minty

Busy Box

Post by Minty »

I know that busy box messages are normally due to bad burn or Cd Rom problems

I Have just bought a MSI Wind netbook,

I am unable to install Mint on this machine as have the busy box message when starting the live CD

I have tried burning the ISO on three different burners using different programs, the ISO I have checked the MD5 and all is well, and the ISO I have used to install on 2 different PCs

I have even tried using the live CD from a USB stick and still get the busy box message so now I am a loss

Any help would be nice
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re: Busy Box

Post by Guest »

more info

I can boot into Suse or Ubuntu but not Mint, using same burners, so it really seems to be related to Mint

Even installed Ubuntu except that I managed to kill the XP partition :( and that Ubuntu and Suse are unable to 'see' the wifi card for the moment

I want Mint not the others, help please
Minty95

Post by Minty95 »

Bump

can nobody give me help on this matter, have installed Ubuntu but rather have Mint ....
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

My experience with BusyBox in Mint has been that it appears to be a matter of chance - some installations are prone to it, some not.

My first was Bianca - with that, it was often necessary to [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] from the Initramfs prompt a few times before Bianca would boot.

My present installation of Elyssa boots sweetly - at present - but the previous (on hd0) became after some weeks so insistent on BusyBox (and later terranova) that I had to re-install on a different hd1. Oddly, the one on hd0 now boots without problems!

I have no Linux experience outside Mint.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It's usually a matter of kernel version and boot options. On my desktop I need to add the "irqpoll" boot option (at the liveCD boot countdown, press a key, then press Tab to edit the line, and after " -- " insert "irqpoll"). Try that boot option, if it doesn't work try other ones... (all_generic_ide..etc).

Clem.
Cooler_King

Post by Cooler_King »

We're all having the same issue.. it's a ubuntu bug (which was fixed in 8.04.1 but Mint r5 gnome still uses an older base) and it won't be fixed until a new version gets released.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17084
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks all for some light on this. If we're to be able to make intelligent use of BusyBox we need some sort of manual for it - impossible in BusyBox itself but should be accessible somewhere - not found in MintWiki or Linux Documentation Project. The search page there says both BusyBox and initramfs look like results of automated requests from a virus or spyware.

I did read somewhere that it originated in Debian 4 and I think Linus Torvalds was among the authors.

Can anyone add anything about Terranova - that turned up once instead of BusyBox?

Currently after a lens-clean I have a new working installation, but not yet updated, and still lacking some of my favourite software.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
popaclay

Post by popaclay »

Hi, I love mint but I had to remove it from my computers because of this problem. Any Idea when it will be fixed?
Cooler_King

Post by Cooler_King »

I switched back to XP. Don't know why the devs don't care about this issue. I think there are dozens of people out there that are having the same issue.
kate273

Post by kate273 »

I've got an Advent 4211 (clone of the MSI Wind) and the problem with Mint 5 is the Live CD is not able to handle the Realtek RTL8102E chip - should be fixed in Ubuntu 8.04.1, so hopefully Intrepid Ibex should work, and if Mint 6 is based on that we should be OK.

By the way, does anyone know how I could get involved with the testing of Mint 6 on the Advent?
All the best,
Kate!!
flintstone

Post by flintstone »

After I bought a new computer, this problem, has also sent me back to Windows....to bad, I really did like Mint.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Have a look at my latest post in topic "About BusyBox - Now solved!" in Newbie Questions forum.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.

Return to “Installation & Boot”