Grub question

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Grub question

Postby Acid_1 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:32 am

Grub can't find:

message.elyssa

in the boot process. Grub is fine, just it's normal grub, not Elyssa's. So, how do I fix it. I tried

sudo grub

find /boot/grub/stage1

and it can't find it. Here's the partition scheme:

/dev/sda1 - /boot
/dev/sda2 - swap
/dev/sda3 - /home
/dev/sda4 - /

EDIT:

oh yeah, /boot/grub/stage1 is there, I checked via Nautilus.

EDIT2:

I put swap as /swap. I was tired haha
Last edited by Acid_1 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Grub question

Postby Fred on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:05 am

Acid_1,

It looks as if they are still carrying that separate boot partition problem too.

First, copy "message.elyssa" from /etc/grub and put it in /boot/grub. You can use SuperGrub to boot into the install if you wish. Don't fix anything with it, just use it to boot with. Then change the line in /boot/grub/menu.lst below from:

gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.elyssa
to
gfxmenu=/boot/grub/message.elyssa

That should get your nice boot screen when you get done.

Remember the menu.lst and Linux kernel are in the /boot folder so thats where the grub kernel should point to, not /.

Assuming you are booting from sda, you need to reset the pointers to the /boot partition. Use SuperGrub to boot into your install. Again, don't try to fix it with SuperGrub, just use it to boot into the install.

Once in the install, open a terminal and type:

sudo grub

root (hd0,0)

setup (hd0)

quit

This installs the grub kernel to the mbr of sda and points to stage 1.5 and the menu.lst on your /boot partition. Reboot and hopefully all will be well.

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby T J Tulley on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:17 am

I am interested in Fred's reply to this question. Until today I had never met a partition allocated to /boot - to me, boot is a flag which can be set in the Partition editor, and in my set-up it is applied to the / partitions in various disks- they all work.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:47 am

Theo,

As you know, in Linux you can break things up on separate partitions. An example I am sure you are familiar with is having a separate /home partition. You don't have to have one but some want/need it depending on what they are doing with their computer and how they choose to have it laid out.

You can also have a separate /boot partition. There are reasons why some people would want this also. In this case, there is a bug in gfxgrub that causes problems reading the message, or boot screen, from another partition. Since most people using Mint as a GP desktop don't use a separate /boot partition, /boot stays in /, they don't see the problem. If you have a separate /boot partition, you usually have to put a copy of the message in the /boot/grub folder to see the boot screen.

The other problem has to do with the way the installer defaults to installing grub. As I have said before, the installer is not very smart. It assumes you don't have a separate /boot partition and installs the grub kernel pointer to / instead of /boot.

What I suggested he do is give the commands to point the grub kernel pointer at the /boot partition where it should be, in this case.

I hope this helps you understand better sir.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot