problem with mint 17 install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ygogo

Re: problem with mint 17 install

Post by ygogo »

For me,problem was solved by using Rufus to make a bootable image. Before it a had a several installation crashes with unetbootin image.
Midhun

Post by Midhun »

Hello
I have encountered similar problem today when I was installing Linux 17. I have tried many methods but didnt see light. But was solved when i formatted my usb and creating bootable image with Rufus software http://rufus.akeo.ie/ . I hope this helps if anyone is having trouble and didnt work with otherways. Thanks.
arneko

Post by arneko »

I managed to install Mint 17.1 Rebecca from unetbootin USB Thumbdrive using the command

Code: Select all

sudo mount --bind /media/mint/casper/ /cdrom
Not sure if this is documented anywhere. It will point the folder /cdrom to the casper filesystem- worked for me

cheers
Braveheart_7

Post by Braveheart_7 »

Has anyone found the "one solution fits all" for this?

I have tried every suggestion here including swapping hard drives, swapping memory, swapping usb sticks, etc.

I have verified my iso with the checksum. And I can use the iso to install to a VM fine.

I have tried each 17.1 64-bit iso. Cinnamon, Mate, and XFCE.

I've been at this for 5 days now to no avail.

Did anyone report this to Clem?

Thanks!
Cybernetic1

Post by Cybernetic1 »

I've tried various tricks for UNetBootin but they don't work (for the Mint ISO at least).

Final solution is to use "usb-creator-gtk". It's available on Ubuntu.

I'm surprised such a simple solution didn't get mentioned... on Google they mostly mention alternative USB boot drive writers that run on Windows.
Braveheart_7

Post by Braveheart_7 »

Thanks. I wound up creating the USB from within Mint and that worked.
dutcharjo

Post by dutcharjo »

About that all black screen after entering the command in terminal: ctrl alt F7 also gave me an black screen.
I then tried ctrl alt F8 which returned me to the desktop.

Although this suggestion also did not work for me. I also got another error when downloading and installing the updates.

Also, using the usb-creator-gtk seems to solve the problem here (installer is still running, but has not come this far yet).

Return to “Installation & Boot”