How do I know if I can Boot from USB(SOLVED)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: How do I know if I can Boot from USB

Postby ClutchDisc on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:26 pm

LDME stands for Linux Mint Debian Edition. I personally would run the Ubuntu based Mint over LDME, but that is me. Yes swap is important, and once you install to your HDD it's going to run faster than off of a live USB or DVD. If you were to install MATE to your HDD with a decent sized swap partition, you should have a workable, if not somewhat fast computer. But you really have to install to HDD to really know how it will work with your computer.
Gateway NE56R41u laptop, 2.20 GHz x2, 4 GB DDR3 - Ubuntu 14.04
Dell Dimension E310 desktop, 2.80 GHz x2, 1 GB DDR2 - Linux Mint 17 (Mate)
ClutchDisc
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby pcpunk on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:32 pm

ClutchDisc wrote:LDME stands for Linux Mint Debian Edition. I personally would run the Ubuntu based Mint over LDME, but that is me. Yes swap is important, and once you install to your HDD it's going to run faster than off of a live USB or DVD. If you were to install MATE to your HDD with a decent sized swap partition, you should have a workable, if not somewhat fast computer. But you really have to install to HDD to really know how it will work with your computer.

O my gosh, can't believe I missed that LDME Ron said it right in his post lol. I was freezing cold and tired when I was reading that. Edit, before you read below I am currently reading up on this stuff but still a little confused.
Linux is giving me a headache lol. LDME, LMUE,LMC,LMM, puppy this and that, throbbing head.
Can you tell me where to go to understand all the different distros? I went and looked at all the desktops but they don't have Ubuntu that I can see. I see LDME of course. I would love to know which one uses more resources, speed, user interface, graphics, ease of use, best for beginners, something ya know.

I would love to hear what the difference between the two are.

I would also love to understand how the LDME or Ubuntu get there different desktops. When I loaded mine I don't remember any choice. I can tell you I really liked Mint Cinnamon17 Qsomething is this one of the newer bistros?

Concerning HDD install: I am going to make another post about RAM so I can find the info If needed. I want to get some opinions about how much I should get. Thanks.
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400
MS Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack3, Dual boot=LMMQ17
Intel R Core™2CPU
T5500@1.66GHz 1.66GHz of RAM
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CLHL
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby austin.texas on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:43 pm

pcpunk wrote:Linux is giving me a headache lol. LDME, LMUE,LMC,LMM, puppy this and that, throbbing head.
Can you tell me where to go to understand all the different distros? I went and looked at all the desktops but they don't have Ubuntu that I can see. I see LDME of course. I would love to know which one uses more resources, speed, user interface, graphics, ease of use, best for beginners, something ya know.
I would also love to understand how the LDME or Ubuntu get there different desktops. When I loaded mine I don't remember any choice. I can tell you I really liked Mint Cinnamon17 Qsomething is this one of the newer bistros?

Your system might not be capable of running Cinnamon, because that requires more graphics capability than some of the others.
The different desktops for Mint 17, Cinnamon, Mate, xfce, and KDE, are different in some basics, but mostly, it is a matter of personal choice - which one you like best. Mate and xfce are more likely to work well with older hardware.
LMDE is very different. It is not based on Ubuntu, like the others. It is based on Debian, and is a "rolling release", which means that you don't get new versions like Mint 17, you get periodic updates. It has been said that LMDE is not for beginners, and I think that is probably true.
Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Postby pcpunk on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:01 pm

austin.texas wrote:
pcpunk wrote:Linux is giving me a headache lol. LDME, LMUE,LMC,LMM, puppy this and that, throbbing head.

Your system might not be capable of running Cinnamon, because that requires more graphics capability than some of the others.
The different desktops for Mint 17, Cinnamon, Mate, xfce, and KDE, are different in some basics, but mostly, it is a matter of personal choice - which one you like best. Mate and xfce are more likely to work well with older hardware.
LMDE is very different. It is not based on Ubuntu, like the others. It is based on Debian, and is a "rolling release", which means that you don't get new versions like Mint 17, you get periodic updates. It has been said that LMDE is not for beginners, and I think that is probably true.

Thanks, I am starting to get it, I had some time to read and search. I read about LMDE and you explained it well, thanks. So my question now is how will I know if I got what it takes to run M17Cinamon as far as graphics, the specs say that it will run on 1GB memory so I am good there and will get more soon. Are there specs on graphics? Will I just have to load it and find out, that would suck, computers scare me lol. All this loading and downloading, installing? lol.
Intel R Core™2CPU
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ClutchDisc on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:59 pm

I wouldn't try installing Cinnamon to your HDD with your specs, net even if you had 2 GB of RAM. If you are going to try installing one to your HDD, try Mate or Xfce. Did you try running Xfce off of a live USB? If so, how was it?

Concerning the amount of RAM, I'm pretty sure your computer can only take up to 2 GB.
ClutchDisc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby pcpunk on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:53 pm

ClutchDisc, thank you very much I don't need anymore headaches. I am curious what is not up to snuff, HDD, CPU etc? They say that mine will hold 4GB RAM but I think 2 will be good especially if not running Cinnamon. No I have not tried Xfce but I will on your advice. Shouldn't I try Mate first to get the best or newest desktop?

What if I had 4GB or RAM would that work with Cinnamon? I want to do this today so any info. will be great.

I will try 2 if I don't hear from you, then I will load Cinnamon onto usb and try again. Then move to Mate>Xfce etc. Then eventually to HDD right lol. hoping.
Intel R Core™2CPU
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ClutchDisc on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:58 pm

pcpunk wrote:ClutchDisc, thank you very much I don't need anymore headaches. I am curious what is not up to snuff, HDD, CPU etc? They say that mine will hold 4GB RAM but I think 2 will be good especially if not running Cinnamon. No I have not tried Xfce but I will on your advice. Shouldn't I try Mate first to get the best or newest desktop?

What if I had 4GB or RAM would that work with Cinnamon? I want to do this today so any info. will be great.

I will try 2 if I don't hear from you, then I will load Cinnamon onto usb and try again. Then move to Mate>Xfce etc. Then eventually to HDD right lol. hoping.

4 GB should run Cinnamon fine, however where did you see that yours could take up to 4 GB? I would be pretty surprised if it could. I think 2 GB is the max really. Mate, Xfce, they are all good. I would try Xfce first with your 1 GB, if that doesn't work I'd upgrade to 2 GB. I will be offline for a bit here but will check back later. I hope that answered your questions for now!
ClutchDisc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby pcpunk on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Very good info. I think crucial told me that 4GB will work, I will verify later tonight. I think I will take your advice,Xfce, I just loved the interface of Cinnamon! even Mate was not as nice. But ya know I am very low on cash and it will be worth checking out now that I am becoming more familiar with the forum. Like everyone I love speed, and really liked XP interface as well as all MS. I also like video and all this stuff in on RAM, regardless it won't take long to try it.
Intel R Core™2CPU
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ClutchDisc on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:24 pm

I just searched some more on your computer and yes it does look like it can go up to 4 GB of RAM. However that is over $50 on amazon. Let us know if Xfce works on the USB. Funny, I like the Mate interface the best, much more than Cinnamon! I will even run Mate on computers with 4+ GB of RAM because I like it so much!
ClutchDisc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby austin.texas on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:27 am

pcpunk wrote:So my question now is how will I know if I got what it takes to run M17Cinamon as far as graphics, the specs say that it will run on 1GB memory so I am good there and will get more soon. Are there specs on graphics? Will I just have to load it and find out, that would suck, computers scare me lol. All this loading and downloading, installing? lol.

The problem with Cinnamon on older hardware is primarily the limitations of the graphics card you have. Cinnamon requires 3D acceleration, and many older cards don't have that capability.
Cinnamon definately requires a bit more RAM, also.
Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Postby pcpunk on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:47 am

austin.texas, I just found out more specs on laptop that I will look at later today. I think I do have the graphics I need as I ran this on a Live CD and it ran fine but slow. I will get more RAM even if it is just 2GB. The RAM Specs for Cinnamon is 1GB, IMO this is when loaded to HDD, not from USB like I was doing. Thanks for the reply! I am getting there slowly.
Intel R Core™2CPU
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby pcpunk on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 am

Report: Thanks again for all the help, I tried LMXFCE from a usb and it did like the others, froze like Cinnamon and Mate did. Recap, I only have 1GB RAM, so I think this is the problem, LucidPuppy works fine. I found out with the help of people smarter than me lol., that I have a 64bit system. I have been loading 32bit Torrents...I guess that is the proper term, maybe this is some of the issue. Can you run a 32bit torrent on a 64bit system?
Also guys, why is the font so small in Linux? I have to zoom it in like three times before it is sufficient.
Intel R Core™2CPU
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby austin.texas on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:32 am

pcpunk wrote: I have a 64bit system. I have been loading 32bit Torrents...I guess that is the proper term, maybe this is some of the issue. Can you run a 32bit torrent on a 64bit system?
You can run either 32bit or 64bit programs (or operating systems) on a 64bit computer. I would do 64bit, personally.
pcpunk wrote:Also guys, why is the font so small in Linux? I have to zoom it in like three times before it is sufficient.
You will have to be more specific. The desktop font? The browser font? A higher resolution?

austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Postby pcpunk on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:24 pm

pcpunk wrote:Also guys, why is the font so small in Linux? I have to zoom it in like three times before it is sufficient.
austin.texas wrote:You will have to be more specific. The desktop font? The browser font? A higher resolution?

I mean the Font like at this forum and all other text on the internet, is it normal to be smaller than normal?
Intel R Core™2CPU
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby austin.texas on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Your browser settings will enable you to set a minimum size for fonts for any web site.

austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Postby pcpunk on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Which vender do you guys think I should get my RAM from "crucial" or "amazon"?. I will be doing this soon hopefully today and would like it to be hassle free as much as possible AND I live in the us. I am not sure were crucial is located but it says free shipping but not for the U.S. I'm guessing that they are in Canada, I could not see on their site where they are located.

I just copied LMFXCE to usb and did not overwrite the existing LudidPuppy, and now of course I cannot get LP to boot up but I can get LMFXCE. That one does not work on my system though until I get more ram....hopefully lol. So I will start looking to see if there is a way to keep both on one usb, and use either.

Ooo, thanks, austintexas, #browser settings#. One of my good friends just moved away from there but she loved it, she is from texas.
Intel R Core™2CPU
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ClutchDisc on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:47 pm

I would go amazon, I order a lot from there are they always give me great customer service. Are you going with 2 GB or 4 GB?

I don't think you can really keep two live distros on one USB and just boot one.
ClutchDisc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby austin.texas on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:01 pm

pcpunk wrote:Which vender do you guys think I should get my RAM from "crucial" or "amazon"?.

I usually use tigerdirect.com or frys.com

austin.texas
Level 9
Level 9

Postby pcpunk on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Thanks guys, I am going with 4GB as it is the best deal for the money....and I recently found out that I have a 64bit CPU so it might pay off. I have also used Amazon but then I am dealing with a middle man lol. I don't know how they do it, because they have the cheapest product in this case. I did have some issues with ebay recently and lost out on shipping on the return. In light of this I will really consider TigerDIrect.

I am really having a hard time with this Linux stuff guys aside from the distros not working with my measly ram from the usb. It is just all so convoluted, the way the site is organized. Also I was at the library trying to get some stuff done and could not get logged on the the www. Then I come home and try, and get a totally different connection setup wizard it seems. The freaking dialog boxes don't have any good sensible info to help get connected, it all just sucks really. I think I need to get the ram installed and then Install one distro onto my laptop. I am running Lucid Puppy right now and don't like it. I tried to connect to the internet also with LMCQ via CD and could not?

I would really like to know how I back up my settings when I shut down, and where those files are going to be saved to, Windows? or on the usb. I would just go read this stuff if I could find it ya know. I have seen some of it but then forget the pathway. Okay gotta go, be back soon.
Intel R Core™2CPU
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ClutchDisc on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:47 pm

When working off of the live CD/USB you really can't save your settings / work. Puppy is a super light distro, not meant to be pretty. Yes, you need to get the RAM and install Linux Mint to the HDD.
ClutchDisc
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Installation & Boot