[Closed]Mint 16 Repairs?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[Closed]Mint 16 Repairs?

Postby SJLPHI on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:31 pm

Hey,

I tried optimizing my netbook system by purging unnecessary packages.
I must have done something wrong because I can't seem to turn on the netbook anymore. It gets past splash and I can see the mouse cursor but I have a black screen.

I was wondering if there was some sort of live/repair drive for this system. Currently I have failed to move onto SL6 and SLC6 because they do not recognize the keyboard so I didn't even initiate the install on either of them so to my knowledge the files in mint is still safe. I just need to get to them and hopefully fix the LM16.

Any input will be appreciated
-SJL
Last edited by SJLPHI on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJLPHI
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 16 Repairs?

Postby Kalyk on Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:29 am

Can you try if you can get to the console using Ctrl-Alt-F1?
If so then you can look at your history and reinstall things.

You might also see this as a good moment to go to Linux Mint 17, because support for Mint 16 ends in a few months.
Put Mint 17 on a USB and boot the live environment.
From there doubleclick the partition with Mint 16 and backup stuff to an external harddisk.
And when everything is saved just reinstall.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby SJLPHI on Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks for the reply but I have "solved" the problem by getting access to the terminal using recovery menu and upgrading to LM17 and re-installing cinnamon.

A question I am still unable answer is that why USB live boot didn't work for all Three OS (SL6,SLC6,LM17)

I was able to keep all the installed files which is very nice but once again I hit the performance issues

I'm unsure if LM17 is heavier than LM16 but it slowed down the system A LOT more.

I can't even run a video on VLC without lagging now, before I had no problem whatsoever.

I have been looking around lately to find a replacement netbook.
SJLPHI
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Kalyk on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:01 pm

Usually a newer kernel doesn't perform less then an older, mostly on the contrary.
But perhaps this new version still has some suboptimal settings.
On lower performance hardware I always go for the Mate-version.
It performed quite well on an older desktop with only 512Mb of memory.
Cinnamon relies on 3D and if the processor has to do a lot for that it might be slow.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby SJLPHI on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Unfortunately during optimization once again the LM17 stopped working properly. I've decided to giv Lubuntu a try after reading its "lightweightedness"
SJLPHI
Level 3
Level 3

Postby SJLPHI on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:32 pm

Unfortunately Lubuntu was not the best fix. It was very fast OS but not compatible with many developmental kit that I must use. Currently the netbook won't even boot.

I have concluded to to invest in a Lenovo T410 for a good deal
then use LM17 and go from there.

In the mean while I want to beat a dead horse and trying to revive the netbook.

Big ISSUE:

After I choose to boot from the USB drive it gets to

_

or

then Nothing happens. My main computer uses Windows 7 and I have tried using:

UltraISO
Liveusbcreator 3.11.7
unetbootin-windows-608
Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.5.2

NONE of them works. My flash drive have been used and was successful at installing OS many times before. In fact, it was used to install Lubuntu on the netbook.
SJLPHI
Level 3
Level 3

Postby SJLPHI on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Conclusion:

For some weird reason,
1.Once a computer is loaded with a Linux based OS, any live-USB written from a Windows based computer does not work for the linux based computer anymore.

2.If the live-USB is written from a Linux based computer, it does work for Linux but does not work on Windows computer.

I think I went through about 10 LIVE-USB burning softwares for each OS. None of them worked and I kept FAT32 format throughout/(NTFS for some)

[I've had a LOT of "fun" in the beginning of the summer when my Windows 7 computer crapped out and all I had was my netbook(no optical drive) to fix it.
Same thing when my netbook (After breaking LM16) went down and I only had the Windows 7 computer to fix it]

I'm a little unsure about this compatibility issue(s) but live CD/DVD has not had compatibility issues yet.

I have disassembled and salvaged parts of the netbook, just do note the two points in case if you end up with a netbook and laptop with different type of OS and you have to depend on one to recover the other computer.
SJLPHI
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Closed]Mint 16 Repairs?

Postby PatH57 on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:47 pm

1.Once a computer is loaded with a Linux based OS, any live-USB written from a Windows based computer does not work for the linux based computer anymore.

2.If the live-USB is written from a Linux based computer, it does work for Linux but does not work on Windows computer.

I do at least 6 or 7 installation every week (mix of win xp,7 ,ubuntu and Mint) and create boot stick either in linux or on windows and never had a problem? I always make sure to wipe my usb drive before trying to install as some bootloaders have a strange habit of hiding part of the mbr on the sticks or using a fake cd boot loader. So don't trust too much the usb "installation" software to do the job correctly, take the extra 5 minutes to recreate the partition table of the stick and format to fat32. (in win or linux)
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Postby SJLPHI on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Well, I wouldn't mind learning which softwares and brand of USB stick you use,
I've tried SanDisk, Silicon Power and Kingston 8,16,8 gbs
and WinISO, UltraISO, Daemon Tools Pro 5.*, and few others that I came accross on windows
and many softwares found in repositories on LM17.

Basically, the "incompatibility" comes where the boot is initialized but it stays frozen for at least 8 hours (I've slept on it once)
SJLPHI
Level 3
Level 3

Postby austin.texas on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:41 pm

I have always fixed usb drives that were not working with the dd command to wipe them clean.
Code: Select all
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4096

- where sdX is your thumb drive - sdc?

Run the command:
Code: Select all
sudo blkid
first, to be sure which drive you are wiping clean. You would not want to wipe your hard drive !
Be patient. It takes almost 20 minutes to wipe a 8GB usb drive.
Mint 17 v2 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot