Getting a Black Screen on Boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vanthios

Getting a Black Screen on Boot

Post by Vanthios »

Whenever I try to boot into Linux Mint on my HP Pavilion g7, I see the normal boot screen where it counts down from 10 then proceeds. When booting, I can see the boot status information. When I get past it, where it should be loading and displaying the Linux Mint logo (with increasing opacity), my screen is black. This isn't the black screen where you could type something in, it's black as if the screen was off completely. After waiting 5 to 10 seconds, I hear the normal Linux Mint boot up sound where you're then shown the desktop screen. My screen is still black at this point. When I plug in USBs or take them out I get the corresponding noise.

I recently replaced the screen, but I haven't tested this with the original screen installed. Windows works fine with the screen.

Why is it doing this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Getting a Black Screen on Boot

Post by Kalyk »

When searching Google
HP Pavilion g7 site:linuxmint.com
I find a lot, so do look into that.

One solution of which it is not clear it works you can find here
http://askubuntu.com/questions/105651/i ... 7-notebook
It tells about adding /nomodeset to the boot options.
Hope this helps.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

Return to “Installation & Boot”