mint 17 installs, but won't boot on old compaq laptop

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

mint 17 installs, but won't boot on old compaq laptop

Postby tboneportly on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:42 am

Hi all

I'm new to this linux lark, so thought I'd try it out on my old compaq nx9105 laptop. I did a clean install of mint (from DVD), but it won't boot properly. sometimes it will boot if I go to the grub screen, but even then it won't find my broadcom network card, or my nvidia graphics card - so I can't access the internet to update anything

( I alos tried ubuntu, with the same sort of results)

is the box just too old? it ran XP pro just fine... but I have deleted that install

cheers

Terry
tboneportly
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint 17 installs, but won't boot on old compaq laptop

Postby kc1di on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:19 am

Hi Terry and welcome to LinuxMint,

It should be able to be made to work, However it may not work with cinnamon -- you may want to try XFCE edition.
Here's the problem the machine uses an old Nvidia card and you'll need to install the correct driver for that card.
is there anyway you can get it to a LAN (wired) internet connection? That would be the easiest way to download and install the packages your going to need.
The wireless card (broadcom) also will need special drivers and it will depend upon which card it is as to which broadcom driver will work.
So see if you can find a wired internet connection temporarily and we will go from there. If that's not an option let us know, there are other ways to install what you'll need but it becomes more complicated.

in the meantime you can try this When mint begins to boot hit the tab key, you should then see a menu select compatibility mode. and try that the resolution will not be good but you should be able to boot to a GUI.
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Postby tboneportly on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:28 am

thanks for the reply!

I have a connection on another box, so can download anything I need from that and copy it over

cheers

Terry
tboneportly
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kc1di on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:44 am

We will need a little more information about the machine.
which nvidia Card ?
and which broadcom card?

if you can boot it to the recovery mode and get to the root terminl you can type these codes and post the out put here.
it would help.

Code: Select all
lspci
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot