Recovering Data From Linux Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Recovering Data From Linux Mint

Postby phoenixpenguin9 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Following an accidental hard restart due to a power issue, the next time I turned on my computer to boot into Linux Mint, a grub prompt came up instead of my log in screen. In search of help, I went online and found this page: http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.com/20 ... tdisk.html. I followed all the steps up until the "Locate recovered files/directories" step. I could not find any of the files that were said to be listed in found.000 folder. These are the items in the found.000 folder: http://imgur.com/GkJ3pVG. These are the items currently in my linuxmint folder: http://imgur.com/71ajZuo.

Before this incident, I was using Linux Mint 15 dual-booted with Windows 7 (Linux Mint was installed inside Windows as a program).

Regardless of anything else, if anyone could find a way to recover any data from my "Home" folder on Mint, that would be greatly appreciated.

If anybody has any other questions or suggestions, I will be here waiting for help and answering promptly.

If it seems that my data has been corrupted, just go ahead and tell me because I am tired of waiting to see if I can save any of the data if all this is hopeless. I have was just about to switch to Linux Mint 17 any and was just waiting for me to move my files from my "Home" folder...

Thank you in advance.
phoenixpenguin9
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Recovering Data From Linux Mint

Postby karlchen on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello, phoenixpenguin9.

To start with the least relevant problem first, just to mention it: This link that you give is syntactically invalid: http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.com/20%20...%20tdisk.htm. So it remains unclear which instruction you have followed.

The second screenshot clearly illustrates that the most important files and folders are missing in the Windows folder C:\linuxmint. E.g. the folder holding the Linux Mint container file root.disk is not present. root.disk is the container file which holds the whole Linux Mint ext4 filesystem and therefore the whole Linux Mint operating system itself including what you used to see as /home/phoenixpenguin9.

It is imaginable that what Windows chkdsk has recovered, cf. screenshot #1, are the files and folders missing in C:\linuxmint. It is imaginable that each and every file has been recovered correctly. There is no way of telling from this screenshot.
I would only be able to tell whether this might be the case by inspecting the recovered files and folders and by comparing them e.g. to one of my own Mint4win installations.
Even if the result of this inspection might suggest everything has been recovered correctly, each and every file and folder would need to be renamed back to its original name and moved back its original location inside C:\linxumint.
If only one vital file has not been recovered correctly, the manual steps briefly explained above, will not give you back a bootable Linux Mint system, in particular if the corrupted file is root.disk.
To be precise, any other file of your Mint4win installation can be regained by performing a fresh Mint4win installation of Mint 15, except the root.disk file.
So you could create a fresh Mint 15 mint4win installation in C:\linuxmint and afterwards restore the (hopefully correctly recovered by chkdsk) root.disk from one of the folders in screenshot #1 to the right folder in C:\linuxmint.

Provided this suggestion means anything to you, there may be a chance to get your crashed Linux Mint 15 mint4win installation back. - Whether it will boot up also depends on how badly damaged the ext4 filesystem inside the recovered root.disk file is.

All this does not read too encouraging, does it?

Actually, the best chances would be restoring the complete Mint4win installation from the most current backup before the crash which is available of the whole folder C:\linuxmint. - But I have a vague feeling that your reply to this suggestion will be: backup? which backup?

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Postby phoenixpenguin9 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Thank you Karl for the reply. Yup, as you may have guessed, I do not have a backup. However, the website I took instruction is posted correctly here:http://ubuntu-with-wubi.blogspot.com/2011/08/missing-rootdisk.html?m=1. If you look at this post and what I did still doesn't make any sense, would you be able to further explain how to boot again using the help of fresh install.
phoenixpenguin9
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:24 am

Hello, phoenixpenguin9.

Thanks for reposting the correct link to the recover instruction.
I simply assume that you have followed the steps explained in the article correctly.

As screenshot #1 illustrates, Windows has recovered some folders. It has of course not been able to give the recovered folders their original names and their original location on the disk. In particular it is impossible to tell whether the file root.disk has been recovered at all and if it has whether it has been recovered under which name or as file000x.chk. And it is also impossible to tell from the screenshot #1 in which of the recovered folders the file root.,disk may be located.
It will be your task to find out if the file root.disk has been recovered and where it is.

As screenshot #2 illustrates not only the file root.disk has been lost due to the power outage, but more folders and files being part of your mint4win Linux Mint installation as well. - In so far the catastrophe that happened to you is worse than the situation discussed and cleared up in the article.

This would be the content of a complete and undamaged mint4win Linux Mint installation folder \linuxmint:
Code: Select all
Folder \linuxmint

Linux Mint.ico   1150   2012.10.25   18:16.38
   uninstall-wubi.exe   2379739   2012.10.25   18:16.38

disks   <DIR>   2013.7.21   0:12.20
      root.disk   31188844544   2014.6.25   14:51.52
      swap.disk   268435456   2012.10.25   18:30.16

boot   <DIR>   2013.7.20   23:59.56

grub   <DIR>   2013.7.20   23:59.56

install   <DIR>   2013.7.21   0:12.26
      .fuse_hidden0000000400000001   856545280      2012.10.25   18:16.46

winboot   <DIR>   2013.7.21   0:12.46
      wubildr   153148   2012.10.25   18:15.58
      wubildr-bootstrap.cfg   29   2012.10.25   18:15.58
      wubildr.cfg   1489   2012.10.25   18:15.58
      wubildr.mbr   8192   2012.10.25   18:15.58
      wubildr.tar   10240   2012.10.25   18:15.58
Note:
Filesizes and timestamps may be different on your installation, but the filenames and foldernames and the folder structure should be the same.
The file .fuse_hidden0000000400000001 is irrelevant.

Your target:

As you stated yourself you wish to backup the files from your Linux Mint home folder, because you wish to install Linux Mint 17 and restore your data files there.

How to achieve this goal:

This means it would be sufficient
  1. to identify the file root.disk in one of the folders recovered by Windows chkdsk, screenshot #1
  2. copy this file root.disk to a safe location on the harddisk
  3. boot the machine from a Linux Mint live medium, no matter whether Mint 15, Mint 16 or Mint 17.
  4. loop mount the root.disk file thus hopefully gaining full access to every file and folder which before the crash had been your Linux Mint 15 system
  5. attach a USB harddisk to the machine
  6. copy the complete content of your Linux Mint home folder to the USB harddisk
  7. unmount the loop mounted root.disk file
  8. unmount the USB attached harddisk
  9. shutdown the Linux Mint live system
  10. reboot to Windows
  11. cleanup the recovered files and folders which are no longer needed (you find out which ones they are), , screenshot #1
  12. from [Programs and Functions] uninstall Linux Mint thus cleaning the Windows systems from the remainders of the crashed Linux Mint 15 mint4win installation, screenshot #2

At this point in time, you should have a functioning Windows system, no more mint4win Mint 15 on the Windows system and the idea of installing Mint 17 on the machine.
Now, here is where a new story starts:
Mint 17 does no longer come with mint4win. Installing Mint 17 with the help of mint4win is no longer suppported.
So the very first thing that you should do is create a full backup of your whole Windows system.
Only thereafter you will have to free up enough disk space for Linux Mint 17 on the machine by reducing the size of your NTFS drive(s) as the very first step. And you should definitely use Windows in order to reduce the disk space available to Windows.
Once this has been achieved you will have to boot the machine from the Linux Mint 17 live system and install Mint on the unused disk space. Do not trust the Mint installer to find the unused disk space automatically, instead tell it which part of the harddisk to use.
In case this should sound frightening to you, there are lots of (video) tutorials out there explaining exactly how to proceed.

Before spending a thought on how to install Mint 17, the steps 1 to 12 explained above in blue letters should have been completed successfully.

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Postby phoenixpenguin9 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:07 pm

I think I am calling it quits. I cannot find "root.disk" anywhere. I don't think any data is restorable from the found.000 file because it is very small in size. Thank you for all the help!
phoenixpenguin9
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot