Mint 17 Cinnamon Stuck on Splash Screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 17 Cinnamon Stuck on Splash Screen

Postby osarusan on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:45 pm

I just installed Mint 17 (64 bit, Cinnamon) from USB.

After installation, I used the hardware driver manager to install flgrx-updates. After rebooting, I get to grub, select Mint, and then it shows the splash screen with the green LM logo on it. It stays on this screen forever and never starts the desktop.

It's not frozen -- I am able to hit ctrl-alt-delete to reboot it. However, it never progresses from this splash screen.

Any idea on how I can fix this?

Thank you!
osarusan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 17 Cinnamon Stuck on Splash Screen

Postby karlchen on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:53 am

Hello, osarusan.

Use xenopeek's advice here, Solve boot problems with AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards, during the next reboot in order to disable the "quiet splash" mode.
As a result you should read a lot of messages during the startup process.
At the point in time where your splash screen would normal simply stay on the screen forever, you should now be able to read (error) messages which explain why the splash screen never goes away. Very likely something about being unable to load the graphical desktop environment.
We are curious to read these messages, too.

Kind regards,
Karl
Endless legions of bigoted, brutal, bloodthirsty Orcs from the dark land of Mordor are bringing desolation, despair and death to the poor inhabitants of the Middle East. [1]
karlchen
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot