booted

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newhoperobertn

booted

Post by newhoperobertn »

I have a store-built with Intel Core2 Duo and 4G ram. It came with Win Vista, and has 2 internal hard drives and 3 external USB connected hard drives, plus several usb sticks. I added Ubuntu 13.04 to the second hard drive and Mint 15 to an external hard drive. I was adding Mint 16 to the 2nd external hard drive when I developed problems. I couldn't use any of the Linux OSs and kept getting error messages [which I foolishly did not record]. Then, when I tried to reinstall to see if that would give me a usable bootloader, I got the message: "Installation error [as superuser]. Warning: the GRUB bootloader was not configured properly! You need to configure it manually. I tried changing up the installation, and now cannot even access Windows. I admit to being a 28 year user of Windows, but a fair newbie with Linux. I think I set up more than 1 bootloader [on more than one drive]. However, I do not know how to boot into any of my OSs at this point, and do not have the cli skills to undo whatever I have done. HELP!
PS: I have no idea how to get rid of distros after I have experimented with them and decided to move to another.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: booted

Post by Reorx »

Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
newhoperobertn

Post by newhoperobertn »

Sorry for not responding sooner, I was out of town a week.
Thank you Reorx for your post.
From the links, I was able to discover that I had GRUB and not GRUB2.
I read up from the links and then used Rescatux to reset GRUB.
I was not able to get Windows working [I did try with Rescatux, but no luck], but Mint is working fine.
Thank you :D
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Post a screen shot of Gparted looking at your HD...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
newhoperobertn

Post by newhoperobertn »

I don't know how to transfer a screenshot to a post
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

post.png

Image Image Image
newhoperobertn

Post by newhoperobertn »

Windows.jpeg
Windows drive

Linux-boot drive.jpeg
Linux-boot drive
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Windows isn't working because it's gone! It's partition has been removed... mystery solved... :lol:

Image Image Image

Return to “Installation & Boot”