[SOLVED] how to rescue files with live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] how to rescue files with live CD

Postby daviddd on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:51 pm

I installed Linux Mint 13, which worked well but then I could not get the scanner to work.
As a result of my increasingly desperate efforst to install the scanner, I broke the operating system.
I would like to replace the Mint 13 installation with Mint 17, but I am desperate to copy the .thunderbird folder off the computer first since it contains valuable calendar data.

I can boot normally, which leads to a screen with gobbldygook and no useful functions.
I can boot to rescue - root command prompt, and find the .thunderbird folder and list it.
I can boot a live CD, which finds a USB stick so I thought change the permissions and copy .thunderbird onto the stick.

I first tried to boot a live CD (Mint13), I wanted to copy .thunderbird onto the data partition but I am not authorised and also the disc is read-only.
Then I booted a rescue command prompt and changed the permissions on the .thunderbird folder to 777.
i thought 777 is no restrictions?
Then booted the live CD again. It finds the stick and can read and write on it but when I try to copy the .thunderbird folder, it says I do not have permission.
Permissions are "owner 1001 - user #1001", "you are not the owner, so you cannot change permissions"

What am I doing wrong, can anyone help, please ?
Last edited by daviddd on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daviddd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to rescue files with live CD

Postby gtsfer on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:43 pm

Try using a "chown" command (change owner) from a terminal window after booting from the live CD. Then you can copy your Thunderbird stuff to a USB drive.

It's very much like what you did with changing the file permissions (I guess you used a chmod command there). Here's a link that should get you on the right track. If you get stuck, post back here and will try to help.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-use-chmod-and-chown-command/

UID 1001 is probably your user ID (or was) when you were booting from hard disk before the system got corrupted. When you boot in live mode you're running as another user, (maybe as guest, I'm not exactly sure here) so it doesn't recognize you as the rightful owner.
There's no Windows in my house. And it's a brighter and happier place now.
LMDE Mate, Cinnamon 17, KDE 17, Debian 7.6.0. Edit your first post and add SOLVED to the Subject if it's resolved.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Postby austin.texas on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:59 pm

daviddd wrote:Then I booted a rescue command prompt and changed the permissions on the .thunderbird folder to 777.
Then booted the live CD again. It finds the stick and can read and write on it but when I try to copy the .thunderbird folder, it says I do not have permission.
Permissions are "owner 1001 - user #1001", "you are not the owner, so you cannot change permissions"

The trick is to change permissions on the folder you want to copy into, not the folder you are copying from.
Mint 17 v2 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jahid on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Another way would be , to open the file manager with root privilege by just right clicking on any folder & selecting "open as root" ( if it's a live cd then it won't prompt for any password) and then you will be able to copy anything to anywhere as long as you remain in the elevated file manager window.
jahid@HP ProBook 440 G1 Laptop
jahid
Level 5
Level 5

Postby snipertyler on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:27 pm

Perhaps you would like to simply get the files copied and deal with file permissions later once 17 has been installed?

As such in the live boot with a secondary usb to backup too. The live boot is temp! Do NOT backup to it as it will be lost.
sudo cp -R /folder/location /media/device/

This will get around any permission problems. Once you verified they have been copied and backed up run this command on them to temporaily gain easier access
sudo chmod -R 777 /storage/device/folder

And then once installed with 17 run this command on the folder

sudo chown $USER:$USER /folder/location; sudo chmod 755 /folder/location
snipertyler
Level 1
Level 1

Postby daviddd on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:06 am

In the end it was perfectly simple, sudo nautilus solved the problem. Perhaps I should have posted under newbie.
I am most impressed that no less than 4 users took the trouble to post helpful replies.
Thanks v to you all. It is most impressive that the forum for Mint, a relatively new distro, can offer so much help so quickly.
Now off we go with Mint 17 !
daviddd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gtsfer on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:59 am

Glad you got the Thunderbird files. :) Please edit your first post and add SOLVED to the subject field. It might help others out, ok? :D
There's no Windows in my house. And it's a brighter and happier place now.
LMDE Mate, Cinnamon 17, KDE 17, Debian 7.6.0. Edit your first post and add SOLVED to the Subject if it's resolved.
gtsfer
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot