Linux Mint frozen on Boot logo screen?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aidenrelkoff

Linux Mint frozen on Boot logo screen?

Post by aidenrelkoff »

hey so this is my first post on this forum, and just to start things off i have extensive knowledge of pc and have built many, so im no noob to the world of "Pc gaming master race". anyways, so today i was bord so i desided to install the latest version of linux mint on one of my many old random pc piled up in the corner of my room. So at first i tried to use a usb to install linux, but the old motherboard i have does not support that, so i burned the ISO file onto a DVD, and told the pc to boot from that, and it kinda worked..... It has froze on the boot logo screen, i have tryed booting with/with out Ethernet connected, same problem.
Pc specs:
Amd Sepmron somthing @ 3100Mhz
2gbs Ram @ 400Mhz DDR1
40gb WD Hdd freshly formated
MSI MS-6741-Ver:1
Random BFG Video card

Pic: http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p73 ... 77dacf.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Linux Mint frozen on Boot logo screen?

Post by gtsfer »

Ty the "boot in compatibility mode" in this link. If that doesn't work you might try the section right after where it does the "nomodeset...." thing.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

Regardless of what graphics card you have, give these a try first.

EDIT: If that doesn't work, and you have older hardware, I suggest trying Mate or even XFCE in live mode for starters. They are lighter distros and require less for graphics and memory. If you have a 32-bit machine, use a distro for that of course. And if you have a non-PAE CPU see the "Release Notes" part where it says "Booting with non-PAE CPUs" for a how-to.
Last edited by gtsfer on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avoura
Level 1
Level 1

Post by avoura »

I am having a similar problem, although mine is installing Linux Mint 17 MATE in Virtual Box.
I get the splash screen as the live CD starts up, it says it will boot in 10 seconds, and then nothing, except for the Mint logo at the top and a grey background over the rest of the display.
If I press a key I get a boot menu, but nothing happens when I press Enter or the arrow keys. It is totally dead and it stays like that and does not boot.
I downloaded the ISO file from a link on the page for Mint 17 MATE 32-bit.
I am now downloading again, but via bittorrent to see if that makes a difference.
I also tried using the 64-bit Cinnamon live CD and that booted okay.
Buy someone something for them online once and they will be happy for a day. Get them to get their own Internet connection and they will be happy for the rest of their life.
avoura
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint frozen on Boot logo screen? <SOLVED>

Post by avoura »

I managed to fix it. There is an option in Virtual Box to enable PAE on boot, which I did and now it boots okay.
Last edited by avoura on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy someone something for them online once and they will be happy for a day. Get them to get their own Internet connection and they will be happy for the rest of their life.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

You figured that out pretty quickly. :) And in Virtualbox too. Can you edit your first post and add <SOLVED> in the subject? Might help someone else too.
xencypher

Post by xencypher »

I created an account just to say - Thank You !!

I had the exact same problem and this solved it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”