When installing (via USB), computer shuts off

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LordOfGears2

When installing (via USB), computer shuts off

Post by LordOfGears2 »

So I have my live usb, and I boot it up and the live boot works fine. I start the installation, works fine. It goes fine up until it starts the process 'Coyping files'. That works fine for a bit, but then my laptop shuts off. Like, doesn't go through any process.. just turns off.

The power cord plugin for my laptop is a little bent, so I thought it may be that. So I let it charge until a full battery, retried. Still powers off. I thought maybe it was the battery itself, so I messed with all the settings and stuff in the live boot to see if it would shutdown during any of it. It didn't. So I started installing, and on "Copying files" it powered off.

So I redid my USB with Mint again, to see if it was a USB issue. No luck.

So I even tried downloading a different distro (ubuntu) to no avail. Still powers off during installation.

I just wanted to mess with Linux Mint to see if I would take the plunge and switch from Windows. I've got some experience with debian on my server, but I'm completely new to desktop environments. I figured it would be worth seeing if I liked it at all or not before switching. I'd still like to do that.. but I can't get my laptop to install them.

Any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Minterator

Re: When installing (via USB), computer shuts off

Post by Minterator »

The screensaver blanks the screen after a few minutes, is that what you mean by "turns off"?
LordOfGears2

Post by LordOfGears2 »

No. I mean it powers off. The PC is no longer on. Imagine you hold the power button for the 5/10 (whatever) seconds and it powers off. That's what I mean.

I fixed the powering off issue by using the Terminal to reformat and partition my laptop's HDD.

Then I got another problem with something about the cdrom. There were lots of others having this problem, but fixed it by manually formatting my USB stick, even though I had universal USB installer set to do that when I originally put Mint on there. After formatting and remounting Mint to my USB stick the install went through.

Note that just burning the .iso to my USB didn't work, I had to format it first for it to go through.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

For future reference, your BIOS may have a setting that allows USB devices to be powered off when not "in use". I would check for that and if it is enabled, disable it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”