Boot issues with Chromebook

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shickley

Boot issues with Chromebook

Post by Shickley »

Hi guys, I am new to the Linux Mint Forums so if I get something wrong, please let me know.
I have an Acer c720 that I am trying to boot Linux Mint 17 on to. I have followed this guide
Turn the C720 in a permanent linux laptop Tutorial 1/3
step by step and everything seems to be working. When I turn it on, it goes to OS verification by Google, then switches to SeaBIOS, as it should. It then goes to Linux Mint from my live USB, and displays a message which says "Automatic boot in 10 seconds" and counts down from 10 to 1. After it gets to 1, it says "Not enough memory to load specified image
boot:"
I have run a memory test and the result is that Linux Mint does not recognize any memory at all.
I have looked all over the internet and what I have as the only solution is to fix a so called "memory hole" in the BIOS. I do not know if that is possible with SeaBIOS, and if it is, I do not know how to access it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: For any of you who have had the same problem, I did find a fix. After letting it boot into the Linux Mint screen, press tab, scroll to the first option, press tab again to edit the code, and at the end of the code, put a space and type "mem=1024M" and press enter. It will take you to a blank screen, but have no fears! After maybe 30 seconds, it will boot into Linux Mint without problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bglippit

Re: Boot issues with Chromebook

Post by bglippit »

Does the "mem=1024M" addition further reduce the amount of ram the os sees? I am pretty new at this and when I look at system details under the settings tab it says the computer has only 1 gig of ram. Is it only using half of the ram hardware availible?
bglippit

Post by bglippit »

So I just tried it with "mem=1980m and it seems to be working. I think that is almost all of the ram it has. I tried 1988m and it failed giving a "Kernal Panic" message and a bunch of scary terminal crap. When I had Ubuntu on the computer previously it only indexed 1.9 gigs of ram so I think 1980MB is perdy close to all the RAM the beastly little machine has.
Leafy

Post by Leafy »

Bit of an old post, I had this same problem on my 4gb i3 c720 and used 1980M just to get the live cd to load so I could install and everything went fine till I realized that even after its installed and updated that its only recognizing that much ram now. Suggestions?

*Edit

Well I already figured it out. I had to open the grub config and find the command line entry that kept mem=1980M and delete it.
shock486

Post by shock486 »

How did you edit the config file? I went into /boot/grub/ opened up the config file, deleted all instances of mem=1024 but cannot save the file

edit: pm'd the last poster and he confirmed if you use a file manager --> right click and change permission user to sudo or go via command line to the folder and use sudo gedit filename and the file will save after you edit it.
joesken

Post by joesken »

I found an answer to this here (http://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/com ... oad_image/)

This worked for me. Press tab on the startup menu to bring up the startup command line and then put in

Code: Select all

mem=1G 
BEFORE the --

HTH
Leafy

Post by Leafy »

Teigrgwyn wrote:Figured I might as well post on the same problem, I do everything the OP says correctly. Press enter after entering the RAM amount (32bit version of Linux Mint, but I tried values 4048, 2000, and 1024, all to no avail), it still returns a 'not enough ram' message with the boot line popping up next. Help appreciated.
Are you using the c720? That seems to be everyone in the thread so far, myself included. I know I used the 64bit version of mint though.
Leafy

Post by Leafy »

Odd, I just put the mint iso onto a flash drive using the boot disk creator utility that comes loaded with linux mint on my other linux laptop, just had to declare the amount of memory in the boot options and that was it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”