Grub unable to detect Windows [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luayessa

Grub unable to detect Windows [SOLVED]

Post by luayessa »

I installed Linux Mint 17-64 bit on a PC that already has Windows 8. During the installation, the Grub was not able to detect Windows 8.
The installation completed successfully, however now I am not able to boot into Windows.

I installed Boot-Repair but it did not help. I noticed that I can select Windows 8 as the default OS from Boot-Repair, but the Windows 8 is not found in the Grub menu.
I tried the following command: os-prober, but the output was: No volume groups found only.

The following URL has the Boot-Repair log file:
http://paste2.org/nAeJOMnU

I also attached a screen shot of the GParted

Can you help please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Grub unable to detect Windows

Post by gtsfer »

Did you try "sudo os-prober" from a live boot session? Here's a link with some info on installing dual boot with W8 (maybe a little late as you've already installed, but it might help). http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126.

It appears that your W8 partitions are all still there from the screenshot. Boot up in live mode and try the command again if you can do that.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

you did what shouldn't have been done during the first setup of Mint

Question: Why GRUB is not installing properly in my machine?
Answer: New machines have EFI capable bios. This means that by default MS Windows is installed in UEFI mode and this requires a GPT formatted Hard Disk. At the present GRUB cannot install itself in GPT partition table without a huge effort and special skills.
luayessa

Post by luayessa »

I don't have much information about EFI or GPT. It seems the Windows boot files were deleted, but the Windows OS files are still there. I will try to reinstall the windows boot files again. Thank you.
PatH57 wrote:Hi,

you did what shouldn't have been done during the first setup of Mint

Question: Why GRUB is not installing properly in my machine?
Answer: New machines have EFI capable bios. This means that by default MS Windows is installed in UEFI mode and this requires a GPT formatted Hard Disk. At the present GRUB cannot install itself in GPT partition table without a huge effort and special skills.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

make a backup first of your data, windows has a bad habit of wiping the drive before it installs.
luayessa

Post by luayessa »

I tried from a live boot session but without success. The

Code: Select all

os-prober
still prints:

No volume groups found
only.
Thank you for the link.
gtsfer wrote:Did you try "sudo os-prober" from a live boot session? Here's a link with some info on installing dual boot with W8 (maybe a little late as you've already installed, but it might help). http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126.

It appears that your W8 partitions are all still there from the screenshot. Boot up in live mode and try the command again if you can do that.
lostfarmer

Post by lostfarmer »

Your first problem is that linux was not installed in EFI mode. If it was there would be an entre in your "sda8/etc/fstab:" to mount the EFI partition and you would have the correct EFI files.

2nd problem , your EFI partition has been messed up. It should have the 'boot' flag not the 'bios_grub' flag.

1 1049kB 525MB 524MB EFI system partition bios_grub
The boot files for Win8 have been deleted and replace by the incorrect Grub2's core.img .

Do a web search for "rebuild win8 efi partition".

Once the Win8 efi partition is correctly rebuilt then you will need to run from a live cd the 'boot-repair' command to install linux efi boot files.
luayessa

Post by luayessa »

Dear all,
The problem was solved :D
I did the following:
1- format the first partition (dev/sda1) as FAT32.
2- using a commercial tool, I re-installed the Windows 8 Boot Files. (I think this can be done using bootrec commands)
3- Now I can boot into windows normally, but the Grub menu is not shown, so I was not able to boot Linux Mint.
4- I changed the BIOS settings to use UEFI mode only (without Legacy option). Also the Boot Security option is off.
5- Using a live USB Linux Mint, I used the Boot-Repair tool to rebuild the Grub menu. I selected the "Recommended" option. I Boot-Repair said there was an error during the Grub building.
6- I restared my PC and now I can the Grub with option to go to Linux or Windows.

Thank you .
luayessa

Post by luayessa »

You are right, my problem was installing Linux in Legacy mode instead of EFI mode.
Thank you. I solved my problem.
lostfarmer wrote:Your first problem is that linux was not installed in EFI mode. If it was there would be an entre in your "sda8/etc/fstab:" to mount the EFI partition and you would have the correct EFI files.

2nd problem , your EFI partition has been messed up. It should have the 'boot' flag not the 'bios_grub' flag.

1 1049kB 525MB 524MB EFI system partition bios_grub
The boot files for Win8 have been deleted and replace by the incorrect Grub2's core.img .

Do a web search for "rebuild win8 efi partition".

Once the Win8 efi partition is correctly rebuilt then you will need to run from a live cd the 'boot-repair' command to install linux efi boot files.

Return to “Installation & Boot”