Mint 17 UEFI install+Boot Repair removed Win8 EFI entries

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
polypoly

Mint 17 UEFI install+Boot Repair removed Win8 EFI entries

Post by polypoly »

I recently bought a new Lenovo laptop (Intel i7-4500U // Windows 8.1 64 // NVIDIA GeForce GT 820M 2GB)

The goal was get a dual boot with Win8/Mint17. Mint installation failed (different post here). Installed Ubuntu 14.04 with UEFI ENABLED and Secure Boot DISABLED on free space (attached screen shot pre.jpg). Everything worked fine with both Win8 and Ubuntu.

This somehow magically allowed Mint installation DVD to work (details in the above post). Proceeded to install Mint over Ubuntu (not touching Win8 partitions).

Result: Win8 disappears.

After Mint install, GPT partitions are messed up. Win8 doesn't boot. All Win8/OEM partitions are gone. The initial ESP has doubled in size (attached screen shot post.jpg). The UEFI options in Firmware/BIOS/UEFI are two Ubuntu entries, the second one replacing Win8. GRUB reports only Ubuntu. Selecting Recovery at the Firmware (BIOS) ends up in GRUB. /boot/EFI/Microsoft is nowhere to be found.

I didn't back up my GPT (<face palm>) and don't have the OEM installation DVD. Is there anyway to restore GPT and get Win8 back? I never touched the Win8 partitions while working with Mint and just installed Mint over Ubuntu, so the data should be there. Aren't there two copies of GPT?

I'm planning to call Lenovo and ask for a recovery CD/DVD. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to reading materials or any utils I can use the rebuild the GPT and Win Boot Loader.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Mint 17 UEFI install+Boot Repair removed Win8 EFI entrie

Post by PatH57 »

well you have totally removed win8 from the drive so there is nothing you can do without a win8 media (usb or dvd) and reinstall.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

I was afraid this might be the case, but it looks like in that second screen shot the Win 8 partitions are still there (and even a recovery partition I think perhaps). I'm hoping someone that knows Windows 8 better will take a look at it and have an idea. Can't tell exactly what you did during the install(s) so if this doesn't pan out a recovery CD will be necessary.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

probably the same drive, just 1 screenshot was before and 1 after boot repair.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Yah, I see the pre and post mint labels now, missed those.

Return to “Installation & Boot”