LM 17 32bit XFCE black screen white cursor

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andimint

LM 17 32bit XFCE black screen white cursor

Post by andimint »

While booting, Linux Mint logo shows up and then, instead of automatically login as usually, the screen turns black and only my mouse cursor is visible (i can move it).

I am able to open a shell via CTRL+ALT+F2. I am then prompted to log in with username and password.

Last thing i did on the vital system was trying to set up a local network using samba and installing nautilus. I dont think that this caused the error.

Could someone help me please? I have found no solution on the web so far.

I have already raised the elephant. Did not help anything.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: LM 17 32bit XFCE black screen white cursor

Post by gtsfer »

Try selecting compatibility mode from the Grub startup menu. If that fails you might look here... http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257.

See the second part where it does the "nomodeset". ("If you can't boot successfully after installing Linux Mint"). This won't fix your problem but maybe you can move forward from there. Perhaps mixing Nautilus in on Xcfe caused the issue. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what Xcfe uses for a default file manager. Look in Package Manager to get rid of it and try rebooting. In PM go -> File -> History for hints on what you did last in there.

Return to “Installation & Boot”