No Grub after latest update

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PussyCat

No Grub after latest update

Post by PussyCat »

Following the latest update on 9 Aug, Grub no longer loads - just a flashing curser?

Grub should load, as before, from the Mint partition (sda16). Having examined /boot/grub we find that grub.cfg exists and lokks ok (but what would I know!).

On this occasion elected to do a full update via Synaptic. My usual practice is to update other machines using a remaster - using Remastersys - created on my primary machine (or could use AptOnCd) and to that extent could reinstall but would like undrestand what has happened and whether it is recoverable?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: No Grub after latest update

Post by nomko »

PussyCat wrote:Grub should load, as before, from the Mint partition (sda16).
Is this correct?? /dev/sda16??
On this occasion elected to do a full update via Synaptic.
Why not through the normal and safest way: Update Manager? Else use the terminal command sudo apt-get updatea && sudo apt-get upgrade the next time.
My usual practice is to update other machines using a remaster - using Remastersys - created on my primary machine
Not sure if this fully works, unless all machines ahve the same spec. Otherwise you will do a lot of (kernel) rebuilding afterwards.... If all those other machines are hooked up to the internet it is very useless to work like this IMHO.
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Is this correct?? /dev/sda16??
Yes!
Why not through the normal and safest way: Update Manager? Else use the terminal command sudo apt-get updatea && sudo apt-get upgrade the next time.
I sometimes use Update Manager but (for whatever reason) was not in tray on this occasion. Anyway however updated is now after the event.
Not sure if this fully works....
It always has - beautifully (should have mentioned this is Maya). But again is irrelevant since this was a direct update.
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Ok - its a couple of months since this OP but rather than start another thread I'll continue here!

It's just happened again! But at least this time seem to have recovered by tweaking the EasyBCD but it shouldn't be necessary?

The problem would appear to be with the update rebuilding menu.cfg which has now grown to a massive 8 A4 pages! This could be edited manually to eliminate unwanted entries but it would be too easy to mess up by deleting a character too many or leaving an extra unwanted character. Or should would I need to ferret about in /etc/grub.d per http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/910?

This led me to looking for a grub editor and found this http://lifehacker.com/5760551/grub-cust ... -boot-menu. Since it's Ubuntu it should be ok for Mint 13 shouldn't it? Or could someone recomend an alternative?
PussyCat

Post by PussyCat »

Continueing this blog, Grub Customizer certainly helped tidy up the menu.

However, grub/mint must insist on ferreting about at boot as one group of entries keep coming back (ie multiple entries - about 8 - for PCLos)!

Return to “Installation & Boot”