Mint Elyssa VMWare boot problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miket

Re: Mint Elyssa VMWare boot problem

Post by miket »

Hi !
BurnoutPriest wrote:I'd just like to apologize quickly if there is already a thread answering my problem; I searched the forum but didn't find anything like it.

I just found Linux Mint today and I'm incredibly excited about it. The only problem is when I try to install it on VMWare (Latest version, Windows xp host). When the live CD begins I can view the boot menu (start, compatibility mode, etc.) but when I choose either option to start it just says "Loading..." and seems to lock up. I've given it over 30 minutes and 512MB memory, so I doubt it's just a slow boot. I've tried creating both Ubuntu and Other 2.6.x kernel options in VMWare, neither have helped. So, does anyone have an idea on how to solve this problem? I'm at a loss =/

EDIT: First post and I've already posted in the wrong forum? Sorry, could a mod move this to the correct section?
Of course I'm going to tell you you've got it round the wrong way, your host O/S should be Linux and the Guest O/S Windows :_))

Try giving it more memory, say 1GB to start with, Mint does boot incredibly slow on systems with only 512MB of RAM.
Secondly, try booting it native from the LiveCD, not in a Vmware VM, if this works then it would suggest possibly that your Vmware
settings are not right somewhere.

Mike.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !
BurnoutPriest wrote:Haha, Linux as my main OS would be great except for the all my graphic programs that are such a hassle to move to another Windows install. (I'm a freelance graphic artist. Speaking of that I noticed one of Mint's background's is an Apophysis fractal. I would be happy to make a background for it fractal wise.) I did try booting Mint on my actual computer and the same thing happened. I burned the iso at a lower speed, double checked the md5, and still nothing seems to be working. Could there be a problem with Dual Core computers? I've had that pop up before when I was installing Ubuntu a while ago.
If anything it should run better on dual core machines, it certainly does here :)
Can you post here the full spec of your machine, including make and model, it may help us fathom the problem out?

Thanks !

Mike.
Caelum

Post by Caelum »

This issue is a little old, but I had the problem today and thought I would post.

The problem in my case was that the file was not complete, failed md5 check. I had not actually bothered to check the md5 or even the file size and when I looked the .ISO was only 200 odd mb. It managed to come up with the boot menu but froze up after that.

When I re-downloaded it everything worked fine.

Return to “Installation & Boot”