Ubiqity

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Ubiqity

Postby Meteor on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:41 pm

Simple enough title for this topic... Could someone please tell me what this program does? I have browsed through the Forum and on Google and have determined that it has something to do with making dual booting work in Mint. May I have a precise definition and/or pointers where to find out what this program is, does or may be?

I have, of course, a reason for this question. My system currently runs PCLOS 2007 and is working fine. I did, in the past, have Cassandra or Daryna (forget which lady -- old age, y'know...) running before moving over to PCLOS. However, I'm not that much of a fan of KDE and would like to return to Mint and meet Elyssa. She had been refusing to load from the Live CD until I decided to chose the second option on the intro screen -- forget what it's called but that choice sent "Busybox" out into the wilderness. Whatever "Busybox" is, was or may be, I don't care as long as it gets busy on someone else's box and lets Elyssa load on mine. (See posts in my name in the Hardware Forum...)

I think I understand that Mint will recognize the fact that PCLOS is already a player on my system and will work. I think Ubiqity may adjust the MBR, Grub or something to let me have the choice of which OS will boot. I need to have PCLOS running for a bit longer to finish a couple projects but, if I can get Mint and PCLOS to both be available, Mint will eventually take over, be it Elyssa or Felicia.

I appreciate your assistance.

Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Ubiqity

Postby speaker219 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:40 am

As far as I know, ubiquity is the installer itself.
speaker219
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Ubiqity

Postby Meteor on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks, Speaker219. I guess it would make sense that "Ubiqity" (with the odd spelling, looking at it from a North American point-of-view...) would be the installer and that is why I can't find it on the menus. So there's nothing to do except watch it install. Hopefully it won't cause any problems.

Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot