Linux Mint will not boot w/ Windows 8 [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
burrus

Linux Mint will not boot w/ Windows 8 [SOLVED]

Post by burrus »

So I just got a new laptop that came preloaded with Windows 8, and after using it for a very short period of time I decided I wanted to load Mint onto it as well. So far the process of installing the dual boot has been like pulling teeth. Even getting the system to recognize and boot up from a USB disk was tricky. However, after switching all the obnoxious Microsoft firmware settings off (secureboot and fast boot) and turning Legacy Mode on, I was able to boot the USB stick and install Mint.

Unfortunately, while Mint seems to be successfully installed, when I reboot the computer it boots into Windows 8. When I go back to the boot menu, there is no option other than the Windows Boot Manager. I can't figure out how to get GRUB to boot when the computer starts, or how to get Mint to boot at all.

Any help would be much appreciated. It's an ASUS X751MA that's modded to have a SSD with a UEFI BIOS. I'm trying to load Mint 17 (MATE version)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Linux Mint will not boot (dual-booting with Windows 8)

Post by gtsfer »

As soon as your BIOS splash screen completes (the one that says ASUS or something) press and hold the shift key. You might get the Grub menu this way. If still no joy, then reboot from your LM17 USB stick. Start the Terminal program and see what OSes are installed (and detected) with this command. Copy and paste whatever shows up back here.

Code: Select all

os-prober
burrus

Post by burrus »

I figured out what the problem was: I was trying to install a 32-bit version of Linux Mint under MBR while my Windows install was a 64-bit install under GPT. From what I've seen (elsewhere on the internet) those two things seem to be incompatible.

In addition, I figured out that the problem I was having before is that unetbootin (which I was previously using to create the USB live disk) automatically creates MBR live disks rather than GPT, and my BIOS apparently can't recognize that unless it's in legacy mode. The install worked fine and GRUB now loads.

I'm having a different (minor) problem now: X11 seems to be interpreting my laptop's touchpad as being a PS/2 Logitech Wheel mouse, and as a result there is no 2-finger scrolling or 2-finger right click. Any idea where I can get drivers to help with this?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

See if there's any settings for the touchpad in Control Center -> Mouse. Can you edit your first post and add <SOLVED> in the subject field? It might help someone else out too.

If that doesn't help with the touchpad issue it might be best to start a new post on that. It could be a task to find a driver if you need one and I'd be starting from scratch on that. Someone else might grab it that knows right away what to look for and where to get it for your machine.
burrus

Re: Linux Mint will not boot w/ Windows 8 [SOLVED]

Post by burrus »

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Return to “Installation & Boot”