Unable to Install linux mint 17 via USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kush

Unable to Install linux mint 17 via USB

Post by kush »

Hello
Can anyone please help me I downloaded ISO of Linux Mint 17 cinnamon from Official website. I checked md5sum also. I created Live usb of Linux mint 17 through USB creator it did not work. I created it through image writer it did not work. I created through Start up Disk it did not work. I created it through DD command. It boots then I get Kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill init code exit code.
Please some one help me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Unable to Install linux mint 17 via USB

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

please tell us what your hardware is? laptop, desktop ... model and so on, we won't have to ask again.
kush

Post by kush »

baba@Shivbaba ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System: Host Shivbaba Kernel 3.0.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit gcc 4.6.1)
Desktop Gnome (Gtk 2.24.6) Distro Linux Mint 12 Lisa
Machine: Mobo Gigabyte model G41M-Combo version x.x Bios Award version F4 date 05/30/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU E4500 (-MCP-) cache 2048 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips 8835.94
Clock Speeds: (1) 1200.00 MHz (2) 1200.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers intel unloaded: fbdev,vesa Resolution 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel G41 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: 1.0.24
Network: Card Atheros AR8151 v1.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver atl1c v: 1.0.1.0-NAPI port df00 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 324.2GB (2.1% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3160215AS 160.0GB
2: /dev/sdb ST3160215AS 160.0GB 3: USB /dev/sdc Flash_Disk 4.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 9.5G used: 3.2G (36%) fs: ext4 ID:/home size: 64G used: 3.2G (6%) fs: ext4
ID:swap-1 size: 4.40GB used: 0.02GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info: Processes 140 Uptime 1:53 Memory 489.9/1220.2MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.7.7
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

bit confused now
Distro Linux Mint 12 Lisa
do you have this distro installed , a bit old?
try Mint 13 (Mint 17 is like windows 8 but on steroids because it's even newer then windows 8)
kush

Post by kush »

I had installed Linux mint 17 but due to some hard ware issue my motherboard was repaired and after it would not recognize the same bootable usb linux mint 17 which I had installed so I had to install from existing dvd of LInux mint 12
kush

Post by kush »

Please someone help me
I have downloaded the latest Linux mint 17 checked md5sum and made a bootable usb but it give kernel panic please help. I am also unable to download windows 7
expat_tony

Post by expat_tony »

PatH57's advice about using Mint 13 instead of 17 was meant very seriously, despite the " 8) ".
Go here and download "Maya", then reformat your boot USB so that 17 no longer exists, and make Maya bootable on it.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php
You can get it back later, but as Mint 13 is both still supported and not such a leap from Mint 12. it's more likely to be acceptable to your three(?)-year-old machine.
- unless, of course, you still have a motherboard problem. But I don't know about such things.
Last edited by expat_tony on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

@kush,

try to download hiren boot cd and burn a cd with it, you can boot it (if it doesn't work then you have hw issue)
@Tony the 8) was to highlight the fact that ubuntu/mint are a bit ahead even regarding windows 8 and may not work too well on older hw, all of those new OS expect features that may not be available.
expat_tony

Post by expat_tony »

PatH57 wrote:@kush,
try to download hiren boot cd and burn a cd with it, you can boot it (if it doesn't work then you have hw issue)
@ Pat
He's using USB not CD/DVD, are you suggesting the USB is the source of the problem?

@ kush
I have no idea what is included in your LM12 Menu. But if there's a USB Stick Formatter in the full alphabetical list, use that to clear the USB and make a FAT32 partition.
EDIT: or if not, see if you can get it via Software Centre or Synaptic Package Manager.
Then use USB Image Writer to save a copy of your downloaded LM13, along with the files you need for booting (added automatically)
If that doesn't work then your issue really is with the hardware (motherboard repaired - those words are a chill hand on my heart)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

@ Pat
He's using USB not CD/DVD, are you suggesting the USB is the source of the problem?
both do work with hiren (it's part of my troubleshooting toolkit), so if one doesn't we may be able to narrow the problem.
Not suggesting anything, just troubleshooting. but there was a wh problem to start with.
Let's not jump to conclusions and follow the steps.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

My advice is to stay away from Cinnamon too with your hardware. It may have installed and run before, but with only 1 GB of RAM and an older CPU you're kind of stressing your system. Try Mate or even Xfce and see if you have better luck. These distros require much less in the way of hardware resources. Pat and Tony are both right as well, LM 13 might be your get bet. These distros will also run a tad faster for you than Cinnamon will too.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Have you tried your usb drive with Mint 17 on a different computer to see if it boots?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

If you have Mint 12 installed, you don't need to make a usb to install Mint 17 to a DIFFERENT partition:
1) First, create a new partition for Mint 17 - about 15GB (10GB would be close to the minimum ).
2) install the grml-rescueboot program.
sudo apt-get install grml-rescueboot
3) Then make sure that the /boot/grml folder exists. If it does not exist, create it with the command.
sudo mkdir /boot/grml
4) Place your Mint 17 .iso file in the /boot/grml folder.
For example, if the .iso is located in the user's Downloads folder, the command would be:
sudo cp ~/Downloads/Mintfilename.iso /boot/grml/
5) Update GRUB
sudo update-grub

This automatically adds a menuentry to the GRUB menu for any ISO files located in the /boot/grml folder.
The created menuentry, when selected, provides submenu options on how to boot the ISO, including the "Try Mint" and "Install" options.

Now reboot, and choose the iso menuentry, and it will run just like booting the live DVD.
http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=rescueboot

grml-rescueboot does not support lvm and md/raid devices
When you run the installer program, you will get a popup asking if you want to unmount the mounted partitions. Answer NO. Your operating system (the Mint iso) is on your Mint 12 partition, and can't be unmounted. That is why you can't install to that partition, only to a different one.

If Cinnamon does not work for you, try Mate.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”