System reboots rather than shutting down.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

System reboots rather than shutting down.

Postby Old Marcus on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:28 am

I have a problem in Linux Mint 4, where when I choose to shut down, it goes through the whole process then restarts rather than shutting down. If I shut down from the login screen, it instead reboots the login screen and shows it in the default GNOME theme. If I then login it shuts down and reboots.

I'm running a dual-boot system with Windows XP, and XP can shut the computer down with no problem at all. Any idea what could be wrong?
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: System reboots rather than shutting down.

Postby Old Marcus on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:58 pm

Is there no solution? It's annoying having to force the computer to power off. If there is none, I may try upgrading mint to 5 again.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Re: System reboots rather than shutting down.

Postby Old Marcus on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:30 am

Bit more info, I tried shutting down in the console using 'sudo shutdown now' and it seemed to shut down the GUI side of things and threw me into the command line interface. If there's no fix I can reinstall, since my /home drive is on a separate partition.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot