Need to delete GRUB and reinstall elsewhere from Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Need to delete GRUB and reinstall elsewhere from Mint

Postby kadathseeker on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:00 pm

Well, I was trying to fix something by simply reinstalling my root partition, but I wasn't paying attention and put GRUB on my Vista partition.

When it was working before, Vista's bootloader would come up first, and I had tweaked it with EasyBCD to give an option from there to go to GRUB, where I could select Elyssa.

Vista's partition is still there, but Vista's bootloader is skipped and GRUB just loops if I select "Vista" from the bootloader menu. My Vista disc can't see the installed Vista to fix it, and bootrec.exe /fixmbr did nothing.

Elyssa works fine, although compiz and avant stopped working for some weird reason. This isn't a huge problem, but I'd like to be able to mount my Vista partition again in Elyssa, and occasionally boot to Vista to play a game without having to use my recovery discs and reinstalling everything again from scratch later down the road.

Is there a way I can uninstall GRUB from sda1 and reinstall it to sda2, under the Vista bootloader, all from Elyssa? I figure that then Vista's bootloader would be all that is left and would take over by default, then I could move GRUB somewhere else and recreate my working setup with EasyBCD from Vista.

Thanks.
kadathseeker
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Need to delete GRUB and reinstall elsewhere from Mint

Postby Husse on Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:15 pm

I do not know much about Vista, so don't count on me for that
However it's really easy to move around grub, unless you are terrified of the terminal (don't be :))
Here's how
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
If you follow this you can add grub to sda2 which is (hd0,1) in grub
This does not remove it from sda1 you have to use some Vista tool to get the Vista boot loader there
And of course you need something from MBR to sda2 - and you have EasyBCD - can it be put on a bootable CD?
(and for Gods sake don't try to wipe MBR - because then it's good bye to all)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby kadathseeker on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:52 am

Okay, GRUB is definitely installed to sda2, but I think it is still on sda1 as well, and I don't know of any Vista tools that can remove it without resetting pretty much everything, especially because they cannot recognize GRUB.

I dug through what documentation I could find on GRUB, but I didn't see anything to tell it to remove itself from sda1, so I assume that Vista's bootloader is still buried under GRUB on sda1 if it is intact at all.

Right now the only thing I know will work is wiping the whole disk with my Vista recovery discs, then reinstalling Mint from scratch. But that's a bit of a hassle.
kadathseeker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:47 am

kadathseeker,

Download and burn slowly the latest stable version of Supergrub live cd iso. I am not sure, but I think it will restore your Vista MBR. I know it does for XP but not positive about Vista.

http://download.linux-live-cd.org/Super ... sgd/cdrom/

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby msuggs on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:19 am

There are several scenarios on the Supergrub Wiki that may be of assistance once you've burnt th CD.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Boot_Problems
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot