Wubi?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Wubi?

Postby kejting on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:46 am

So,Essentially here,I dont want to partition my drive to dual boot cause imlazy and i have alot of imprtant stuff i cant backup...... Has anyone considiered getting wubi working with linux mint?????????
kejting
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wubi?

Postby belovedmonster on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:32 am

Unfortunately Mint has a very small development team relative to the success they are having. They don't have time to do it themselves and no one else has stepped up to the plate to do it.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Death Dream on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:37 pm

Don't act like Wubi is the safest way to go because it can screw up your computer as well, it happened to me. It froze up my PC and my partition table got screwed up and I couldn't get the MBR to fix and I ended up having to reinstall everything from scratch after 3 days of working on getting it back. The only thing Wubi does is make things easy to install, it can still create problems.

viewtopic.php?f=151&p=106831&sid=e0ea7f8b3c408c41de0b10a46ccd3fc3#p106831

~Death Dream~
Death Dream
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kejting on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:07 pm

But it would get linux out to more people,Increasing the general success of linux as a whole. And i just figured it would be easier to do on this than anything else because of the ubuntu codebase.
kejting
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wrkerr on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:41 pm

So there are no plans for Wubi being included as an option for Linux Mint 6?

That's really disappointing. Particularly on a computer with Vista installed, Wubi really is a great thing for a newbie who wants to dual-boot. For primarily this reason, I still recommend Ubuntu to most potential linux converts, and I was hoping that would change with Mint 6.
wrkerr

Postby iironjade on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:10 pm

I also find myself recommending Ubuntu to people because of Wubi but telling them that, once they feel able, they should move on to Mint. It's a pity that there's no Mint equivalent but it's not the end of the world.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot