Dual-boot XP + Mint w/ two disks

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Dual-boot XP + Mint w/ two disks

Postby lxxxiii on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:36 pm

Mmmm, I like me some Mint and keep coming back for more. Nice an' fresh. My thanks to the developers/maintainers :D

Alright. It's like this: I got two physical disks of which the master (hda, and first in boot order) has XP and the slave (hdb) has Mint. XP was installed first (and I checked the sticky, but it didn't have my situation listed). I installed Mint.

During the installation I chose the following partition scheme:
/boot (JFS)
swap (linux-swap)
/ (XFS)

It installed fine.

During boot it tells me GRUB is loading, but gives the error that it can't find message.elyssa. Sorry, I don't remember anymore exactly, but it was something like that. After that it loads a more primitive non-graphical boot screen where the normal options are listed. So it DOES boot, but not perfectly.

One more thing I gotta mention is I did install other distros on this disk before which recognized XP on the master. I also remember choosing to install GRUB on the master, and having the master as first in boot order before (and still so). How do I fix it most easily, without breaking my system?
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual-boot XP + Mint w/ two disks

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:03 am

It does boot I hope
This is due to the gfxgrub we use and that you have made a separate boot partition
And message.elyssa is what gives the nice looking grub we have
As a temporary measure comment out (##)
in menu.lst
As you have a separate boot partition it's seen by the kernel from the root of that partition (a bit strange)
You could copy message.elyssa to grub and change the line to
No detailed instructions as I presume you know a bit considering the choices you've made
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Level 23
Level 23

Return to Installation & Boot