Dual-boot XP + Mint w/ two disks

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Dual-boot XP + Mint w/ two disks

Postby lxxxiii on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:36 pm

Mmmm, I like me some Mint and keep coming back for more. Nice an' fresh. My thanks to the developers/maintainers :D

Alright. It's like this: I got two physical disks of which the master (hda, and first in boot order) has XP and the slave (hdb) has Mint. XP was installed first (and I checked the sticky, but it didn't have my situation listed). I installed Mint.

During the installation I chose the following partition scheme:
/boot (JFS)
swap (linux-swap)
/ (XFS)

It installed fine.

During boot it tells me GRUB is loading, but gives the error that it can't find message.elyssa. Sorry, I don't remember anymore exactly, but it was something like that. After that it loads a more primitive non-graphical boot screen where the normal options are listed. So it DOES boot, but not perfectly.

One more thing I gotta mention is I did install other distros on this disk before which recognized XP on the master. I also remember choosing to install GRUB on the master, and having the master as first in boot order before (and still so). How do I fix it most easily, without breaking my system?
lxxxiii
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual-boot XP + Mint w/ two disks

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:03 am

It does boot I hope
This is due to the gfxgrub we use and that you have made a separate boot partition
And message.elyssa is what gives the nice looking grub we have
As a temporary measure comment out (##)
gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.elyssa
in menu.lst
As you have a separate boot partition it's seen by the kernel from the root of that partition (a bit strange)
You could copy message.elyssa to grub and change the line to
gfxmenu=message.elyssa
No detailed instructions as I presume you know a bit considering the choices you've made
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot