Problem with LM17 and UEFI in Win8.1 dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timmyjust

Problem with LM17 and UEFI in Win8.1 dual boot

Post by timmyjust »

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not. This topic sounds along the same problem. I have a Windows 8 laptop and I've tried to install Mint 17 alongside it and I am just not having any luck. I followed step by step instructions to do so ( From what I could follow anyway.) It was a recent blog or whatever and it was from http://www.linuxbsdos.com/. I'll get the exact link if it helps my case any.

What I remember from the instructions that didn't apply was the EFI partition doing the Mint install. The C drive or Windows 8 install has/had the boot bundled into it as one partition. Their was a small fat32 partition that was supposed to be the boot loader and it was dev,sda 2 or whatever; just like it said in the instructions, but it also said to check and I did and there was no label for it. There was also at least 5 other small partitions. The only thing prior to the mint install was shrink the main windows partition to make room for the mint install. I booted up Mint, followed the steps to install. Made partitions for home, root and swap and installed. Made dev/sda 2 the preferred boot location as the instructions stated and the install went successfully. I just can't get to it. If I go to the bios settings and make UEFI the default boot then it goes straight to Windows 8. If I go to CMS then I get a PXE can't boot from location error. I don't even know what that means, but it has something to with booting from LAN which is the last boot option. Hitting the F key before it boots doesn't help because the only options are the ones that were there before the Mint install (ODD, HDD, USB and LAN). I'll give whatever information that might be any help to solving my problem. Thanks in advance

Edit by admin: probably this was the article you followed: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/06/11/ho ... -firmware/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Problem with LM17 and UEFI in Win8.1 dual boot

Post by karlchen »

Hello, timmyjust.

I am not quite sure whether you are still in the situation which you reported 4 days ago. In case you are, I wonder whether starting all over from the scratch may not be the best option. If you should do so, my suggestion will be reading and following this tutorial really carefully:
[TUTORIAL] Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1 Computer
Telling from the very positive feedback it has received, I conclude that this tutorial must have been written really well.
Currently I cannot tell from my own experience, because there is no Windows 81. machine and no EFI boot machine available to me.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”