New install, Vista and partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

New install, Vista and partitions

Postby nick1122 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:57 am

My current laptop is running only Vista, no partitions. Just want to make sure of things before I screw my computer up.
I want to install Linux Mint on its own partition and create another partition for data shared between the two OS, eg. music, video.
The shared partition should be NTFS (I think), and I create this in Vista itself as a new partition.
For the Mint partition, do I need to create unallocated space (unformatted partition) in Vista and install Mint onto that, and should I put the linux home folder on this partition or on the shared partition?
As far as I understand I need a 10-14 gig partition for Mint.
Thanks for your help.
nick1122
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New install, Vista and partitions

Postby SiKing on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Are you saying that you will be re-installing Vista from scratch?
The easiest thing to do, from personal experience, is to install Windows onto a partition that you create from within the Windows installer. Leave the rest of the disk completely unallocated. When installing Linux, create whatever Linux needs, and then create another partition of type FAT32; mount it from Linux as /share or something. when you boot back into Windows, this will automatically show up as the D: drive. This is where you can share files completely safely between the two.
You will not be able to place your Linux /home on this partition, because FAT does not support user-file access flags.

HTH.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot